Author Topic: Amateur repair success story - Coliseum 300 resurrection  (Read 2857 times)

Offline lucky strike

Amateur repair success story - Coliseum 300 resurrection
« on: December 25, 2011, 10:45:14 pm »
Picked up a Coliseum 300 at a yard sale for $40 (not working)  I have never worked on anything electrical before, except old Brit motorcycles.  I have a buddy who has some know-how lend me a hand in reading the schematics. 

Replaced all the components on the power board that looked crispy, and replace all 5 of the big power transistors, and the rectifier.  All in all, replaced a dozen components.  No testing.  Totally ignorant style.  Put it back together flipped the switch and Damned if the thing doesn't work. 

So $40 + $75 (worth of components) and now I have a working Coliseum 300!!  Need to change out one of the dials on the preamp board, but it is working (just crackles when you turn it)

I am psyched about the whole thing!  Looks right at home on top of the 215BH Sunn cab.

Offline jaywalker

Re: Amateur repair success story - Coliseum 300 resurrection
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 09:21:31 pm »
Congratulations on your success. It's addictive.
Before you replace that potentiometer get a spray can of Caig DeOxit...Radio shack has the small can. Use the tube that comes with it and spray a small amount into the pot (don't flood it) and rotate the knob several times end to end. Many times this is all that's needed. You can also clean input, output and reverb jacks similarly by spraying a dab on a cord end and inserting it a few times. Sometimes there is a miraculous revival as the accumulated crud and oxidation magically disappears.

Offline lucky strike

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 11:09:08 pm »
Jaywalker,

Thanks for the tip.  I will be picking up a can and doing that this week. 

As for your addictive comment, you have NO idea how right you are.  I already had the old junk disease bad.  My buddy, with more experience in electrical equipment, warned me that just because we got lucky on this one is no reason to start buying any old amp. I see at a yard sale....  maybe I'll listen to him.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 07:07:39 am »
Congrats on your "quick fix"! Your buddy has a point, for every easy fix yard sale find like your Coliseum you will run into a mystery problem that nobody can seem to figure out, or a piece that is just plain toasted.
I wouldn't let that stop me from "rolling the dice" on an old amp at a yard sale though.  :wink: