Author Topic: Footswitch  (Read 2171 times)

Offline YandT

Footswitch
« on: October 22, 2017, 06:14:27 pm »
Hi All,

I picked up a Sunn footswitch, but I can't seem to find out much about it.  There are next to no pictures that I can find on the internet.  It seems similar to the Beta footswitch that I am familiar with, but this one is different and unique.  Could it be a prototype?  Possibly for the rare PL-20 Beta Preamplifier?

This is the only thing that I have found on the internet that seems close.

http://preampchannelstrip.net/sunn_pl_20_beta_preamplifier_with_betaswitch_3_foot_pedal_preamp_boris_isis_o.htm

What does the group think?

Thanks for the information,

-Tom

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
Re: Footswitch
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 09:37:21 pm »
A Beta Switch III footswitch should work on any amp (or preamp) that has the same connector on the amp end. There is a Beta Switch II which just doesn't have the Reverb kill switch, but it uses the same connector. It will switch channels but can't control the Reverb. There are some Coliseum Lead (very rare) footswitches that have different connectors.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 09:10:10 pm by loudthud »

Offline YandT

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 03:03:00 pm »
Thanks for the reply.

So, you're pretty confident that this is a Beta Switch III?  What is the more common silver, aluminum model referred to?

I know this footswitch works for the Beta Lead I have, but I was more curious as to whether or not it was designed for the Beta Lead or something else.  Because it doesn't look like the silver, aluminum footswitches more common to the Betas.  That's why I thought that maybe it was made for the PL-20.  But, the silkscreening is different than the other one pictured in the link I provided.  That is another reason I thought it might be a prototype model.

Besides the picture of the one in the link, and the picture that was in the E-bay listing from which I bought this one, I haven't found a picture of another one in existence.  Is this that rare?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

-Tom

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 09:44:59 pm »
Sorry, I don't have anything to contribute on the Beta footswitches. These are pretty rare and at least one company was making a clone for use by people needing one for their Beta amps. I know in the early years Sunn used an aluminum extrusion with a U shaped sheet metal bottom-side plate. In later years they might have run out of the extrusion and not reordered because there is usually a 500 or 1000 pound minimum order.

It would be nice if you could snap a clear picture of the inside of the footswitch and post it here. TIA!

Offline Watson

• House Kustoms Guitars and Amps
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 09:37:36 am »
Here are a few shots of the beta foot switch circuit board in a unit I have.