Author Topic: 200S Restoration  (Read 2325 times)

Offline Greg_M

200S Restoration
« on: August 31, 2011, 08:41:59 am »
Hello Greg,
I may have one, I will try and check on Thursday.

I posted this on "Fixing up my 200S" quite a while back.

"Amp looks great and I know its been done for awhile so I hope you are enjoying it.  Could you please tell me what kind of paint you used on the chassis and did you paint the transformer?  Did you make the transformer feet, I know I'm not the only one that could use a few.  Do you have a parts list you could share?  I'm going to be fixing up my 1967 200S soon.  Any luck on finding pointer knobs yet?"

Glad you are back!
Johnny G

Probably we should transfer this to DIY.
Maybe a mod could move it.

The chassis paint was just silver/gray Hammertone. It's always good for hiding nicks and bumps.
But it's kind of a bugger to work with sometimes.

I did take the xfmr apart as I had to measure the holes for the new "feet" and while I had the bells off I shot them with cheap black paint, I masked the windings and leads with blue tape and shot the rest with the same black paint. It works pretty well if you don't scrape on it. The reason I used black is the new power xfmr came painted black

I did make the little angle aluminum "feet" and painted them black too.

The ceramic tube sockets you can get a lot of places just google it. I think I got these from a tube store when I bought new tubes.
The new quad capacitor came from Dynakit Parts.

I wired it as it was originally with a two pronged plug. The hardest part to find (besides the knobs) was the aux 115vac chassis plug. I asked on a Dynakit forum and a guy sent me one. He was scrapping out an old Dynakit preamp which was the same vintage and used the same plugs. Lucky me.

I got all the caps from "Just Radios" and ebay. The only problem with Just Radios is their minimum and I had to buy three times what I needed. They did not have some values so I had to buy the remaining caps by the bag on ebay

I still have nothing on the knobs. I read a housewive's hint somewhere that suggested soaking the knobs in lemon juice to get rid of the rust and it helped. So I am still using the originals. They look ok if you don't look to close. Don't clean them with 409, it takes the pointer off.

That's all I can think of
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 10:00:46 am by EdBass »

Offline Johnny Guitar

Re: 200S Restoration
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 09:58:35 pm »
Thanks for the info Greg!  Did you make the "Feet" ( out of what & how?) or did you buy them ( where ) ?
Thanks,
Johnny G

Offline Greg_M

Re: 200S Restoration
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 08:00:34 am »
I made them from thin aluminum angle