Poll

Which Sunn Amplifier is the best to you?

Model T
26 (17.4%)
Alpha Series
1 (0.7%)
Beta Series (Lead / Bass)
13 (8.7%)
Concert Series
15 (10.1%)
Coliseum Series
13 (8.7%)
Studio Series
0 (0%)
100S
2 (1.3%)
200S
17 (11.4%)
SL Series
0 (0%)
1200 Series
6 (4%)
2000 Series
20 (13.4%)
Sonaro
2 (1.3%)
Sorado
7 (4.7%)
Solarus
7 (4.7%)
Sceptre
7 (4.7%)
Sentura
2 (1.3%)
Solano
1 (0.7%)
T50C (Fender-Sunn)
2 (1.3%)
Model T (Fender-Sunn)
5 (3.4%)
Sonic II
0 (0%)
Orion
0 (0%)
Enforcer
1 (0.7%)
1000S
1 (0.7%)
300T
1 (0.7%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Author Topic: Which amp do you love?  (Read 8213 times)

rick.heil

Which amp do you love?
« on: June 15, 2006, 11:15:53 am »
Fine.  Bowing to enormous pressure from the guy underneath, I suppose it's only fair...
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 01:35:11 pm by rick.heil »

Offline schrag

• Blueprint For Disaster
Re: Which amp do you love?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 12:55:05 pm »
That's too bad you're biased like that, as my Fender-made Sunn T50C whoops a whole bunch of ass. I shelved my betas in favor of my powerhouse combo.

And as much as I love vintage T's, I like the updated reissues better because of the gain. I don't like using pedals of any kind.

Pics:

« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 06:51:52 pm by schrag »

Offline aaro)))n

• http://www.edgeofdoom.com
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 10:14:43 pm »
That's too bad you're biased like that, as my Fender-made Sunn T50C whoops a whole bunch of ass. I shelved my betas in favor of my powerhouse combo.

And as much as I love vintage T's, I like the updated reissues better because of the gain. I don't like using pedals of any kind.

Pics:

-- wow, beautiful setup!!! thanx for posting pics

:)
AarO)))n Edge

personal site: www.edgeofdoom.com
doom band: www.grievousdoom.com
label: www.wormfodder.com
print design: www.odeum.org
web design: www.gluem.com

rick.heil

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 11:13:54 am »
I must admit.....it is absolutely GORGEOUS!

Offline schrag

• Blueprint For Disaster
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 12:20:50 am »
Thanks much! I am going to respeaker all of that gear soon with higher-watt Eminence speakers.

The combo is the single most expensive amp I have ever purchased at $600. But it was dead mint and I had to have it.

The Slave cost me $80, the Model T 4x12 was $180, and the T50 1x12 cab was $150.

Now if I could just get my hands on a reissue/updated Model T head, I would be very happy!

rick.heil

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 10:09:49 am »
well.....there's always eBay if you love to pay through the nose!

rick.heil

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2006, 09:50:43 am »
what model eminence are you looking at for those? just curious.

Offline mattygold

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2006, 01:34:21 pm »

Pics:

hey dude, i met you in charlotte, i play in control.

and ill definitely vouch for the tone you gets out of that setup. it was brutal when i saw it.

and the only problem with the model t reissues is that they dont get enough volume.

Offline schrag

• Blueprint For Disaster
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2006, 09:31:27 pm »

and ill definitely vouch for the tone you gets out of that setup. it was brutal when i saw it.

and the only problem with the model t reissues is that they dont get enough volume.

Holy cow! Awesome! Say, do you recall the name of the guy my band stayed with? He also borrowed my guitar. I totally forgot to get contact info from him.

Offline richopp

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2006, 02:20:30 pm »
 WARNING:  OLD GUY REMINISCING.  BEWARE!!

Got to vote for and admit I miss my old Sceptre that I bought new in Charlotte in 1969 or '70.  I have the receipt somewhere--I think I paid $400 + tax ($16.00?) for the amp and the 4x12 tall cab with covers for both.  Had an orange Chet Atkins Gretsch with gold HW that I bought used from someone for $125.00.  It was mint, but in those days, being hollow, it had feedback issues that we could not control due to the gain on the Sunn.  Seems like such a small problem now, but it was bothersome back then.  The band was HQ in Chapel Hill, but since there were no deals on equipment back then from small stores, we drove to Charlotte to shop.  We might have been playing somewhere near there--who knows?  I can't remember the name of the store either, but the receipt will tell all when I find it.  I know that our lead guys (we had 2 at different times) always wanted to use my amp instead of theirs!  Our band was One Nite Stand for you oldtimers who remember those days.  I saw an identical setup go on ebay last week for $450.00.  I really wanted it but no $$ right now.  Oh well, you can't live in the past, I guess.  I sold the guitar for $200.00 in 1972 and thought I was lucky.  HAH!  I forget what happened to the amp.  I think the organist (B-3) bought it to go with his 2 145-147 Leslie's.  (Now that setup was fun to carry in and out of the van!!)  If I remembered any more someone would accuse me of not being there...the old joke, of course.  We had fun, played some great gigs with big acts--Four Tops, Allman Brothers, etc., and it was our time on the edge, as the movie says.  Glad to see guys still loving Sunn.  We all knew back then it was the ultimate amp.  I was lucky enough to enjoy playing through it for a few years, anyway.

Offline mattygold

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2006, 06:38:52 pm »

Holy cow! Awesome! Say, do you recall the name of the guy my band stayed with? He also borrowed my guitar. I totally forgot to get contact info from him.

hey dude, that was my band. it was our other guitarist but he quit, and we are keeping it a 4 piece.

www.myspace.com/controlnc is the best way to keep in touch with us.

Offline schrag

• Blueprint For Disaster
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2006, 11:02:51 am »

hey dude, that was my band. it was our other guitarist but he quit, and we are keeping it a 4 piece.

www.myspace.com/controlnc is the best way to keep in touch with us.

Crap. I don't do the MySpace thing. I have a couple of websites for our local scene I maintain:

www.southernoregonhardcore.com - local scene news, shows, etc.
www.southernoregonhardcore.com/blueprint - my band's website.

If you could, can you email me through the site? I definitely want to stay in touch! I know guitar-guy quit, but I would love to contact him.
I don'y know why he would quit such a kick-ass band.

rick.heil

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2006, 09:35:22 am »
make sure everyone votes!

rick.heil

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2006, 12:40:41 pm »
seems like the model T is squeaking by the Beta series at the moment...what a surprise! heh.