Author Topic: what speakers for a 215B?  (Read 2706 times)

Offline fuzzfarmer

• Dirtmother
what speakers for a 215B?
« on: May 23, 2008, 08:33:09 pm »
I picked up an empty sunn 215B (red logo, white baffle) about a year ago for $40.

Besides JBL's (which i cant afford), what would be good replacement speakers?

I've heard good things about the WGS 15's, but also that they were a little large, and I'd have to make the holes in the baffle bigger or something.

Offline basiklybass

• My Sunn's
    • The Old Days
Re: what speakers for a 215B?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 12:13:43 pm »
If you have a 215 cabinet, it has the port on the side and the speakers angle towards the center, correct?
Not heard anything about the WGS speakers. The specs look good.

There are many fine lower priced speakers out there.  I like the JBL M115;s that are a stamped frame, a 2.5"VC and a cloth dome. They put them in their lower end PA cabinets. You can get a pair of them for around $100.00. EV Force 15's are pretty good, but IMHO, don't have the low end JBL's have. I have been impressed with the Kappa series from Eminence as far as construction goes, not had a chance to play them live. They sound good in my basement when I am testing them. They like the 215 cabinet.  I reconed a Celestion 15" and was impressed by it. Couldn't sell it so I put it in cabinet and am keeping it. I see them on Ebay for very low prices. Depending on your amp, cast frame Yamaha's are good. Black Widows are fine speakers...but they are a bit pricey I think.

I have a pair of JBL E140's you could have for $140.00 plus shipping. IMHO, it is worth waiting and gathering your money in order to buy the better item than to settle for something right now. You nearly always end up unhappy and paying for what you originally wanted anyhow.

Offline johnk

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 12:32:22 pm »
wow. a pair of e140's for $140 is a great deal! i wish that i'd seen this before i bought mine (for $125 each!)

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 10:23:14 am »
wow. a pair of e140's for $140 is a great deal! i wish that i'd seen this before i bought mine (for $125 each!)
Makes me wish I could justify two more JBLs!
Isaac

Offline basiklybass

• My Sunn's
    • The Old Days
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 05:31:39 pm »
Those E140's are still available, check the classifieds on this site.

Offline djc

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 08:20:11 pm »
I bought a pair of WGS 15's, total shipped to Saskatchewan, Canada, was $80.  I dumped them into a late 60's model traynor 215.  I did have to rebuild 2 supports to accomodate the speakers but they sound awesome and are cheap.  break up nice, kind of a Jack Bruce of Cream kind of sound.  which is good as he's my favorite player.  I run an Ibanez 5 string ergodyne or my Ibanez 6 string fretless dry into a 200s into the traynor 215.  love it.  would recommend those speakers.  had them for over a year, driven them hard and they sing.

Offline basiklybass

• My Sunn's
    • The Old Days
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 04:50:30 pm »
Sold the E's.

DJC, the speakers are breaking up with 60 watts? I always thought JB's sound came from overdriving the amp more than the speakers, Marshall's with bass over drive fairly low.. I would be concerned myself if I had a clean sound and then changed speakers and they "broke up" even if I did like the sound. If a speaker distorts, it is not working the way the designer planned and will most likely fail ...just when you don't want it too and probably when you think it is sounding great. IMHO :-D

Offline djc

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 04:17:09 pm »
sorry, not the speaker.  the amp.  driving the 2 15's as opposed to 4 10's (previous favorite cabinet) it breaks nic-er or something.  the 215's just sound better. 

Offline basiklybass

• My Sunn's
    • The Old Days
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 06:56:20 pm »
Cool then! :wink: