Author Topic: Sunn 200S cab DIY (PROBLEM FOUND!)  (Read 2178 times)

Offline MisterT

Sunn 200S cab DIY (PROBLEM FOUND!)
« on: December 15, 2012, 09:19:23 am »
Good news to all that have replied.
I connected my 72' Ampeg SVT to the cab and it is remarkable!
I will open my ole Bassman and test pre amp tubes first. The 6L6's are new Winged C
but all the pre amp tubes are original....we will see!
Thanks again to all who have replied and hope you all have a good merry ChRISTMAS and a healthy and safe NEW YEAR!
THANKS AGAIN!
Hey All,
I just recently built a Sunn 200S cab per Conrad Sundholm plans.
I had 2 older Eminence square back 15's and installed them.
Using my 67' Fender Bassman head the cab sounded good at 3-4.
When I take it up to 5-6 the speakers began to make an awful blapping sound. Contacted Conrad and was told the old speakers will not work in this folded horn 2-15 cab...so he recommended the Eminence Legend CB 15's. I bought 2 new ones and installed them.
Same blapping sound at 5-6 volume. This just sucks!
I went back over the cab plans detail by detail and discovered I had mounted the port boards with the the angled piece to the back of the bottom edges of the speaker baffles. The plans show them mounted just below the baffle edges.
Could this error cause all this bad blapping! I even added more insulation thinking this might increase the internal pressure on the speakers. No improvement!
I can't get it out of my mind that the internal volume is too much and the speakers are becoming unloaded and causing the blapping sound.
Can anyone help or tell me who I might contact?
Sorry to be so wordy!!
Take care and stay low!
MisterT
Oklahoma
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 07:08:12 pm by MisterT »

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Re: Sunn 200S cab DIY
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 10:08:42 am »
Try a search. Use "200S cab build" and see what happens; that should provide you with all kinds of reference info while you are waiting for a specific response to your "blapping" issue.

Truthfully it would be hard to go wrong if the internal dimensions are correct to the original. I've never built a 200S cab from scratch, but have used about every commonly used 15" driver (and some less common ones too) in 200S cabs and find them very forgiving of which driver you load in there. The only issues I've had is the magnet structure of some newer ceramics being too big to clear the port ducting.

Off the top of my head I would suspect an air leak, particularly if you built a rear loading enclosure true to the original and the problem occurs at about the same SPL with different drivers.
The backs can be a little finicky; sometimes they can hang up in a spot or two and not seal, and sometimes the back can distort a little if the torque isn't fairly even among all 38 screws.
You did use all 38 screws, right?
I make sure the backs aren't warped, fit flush, and drop right in without needing any hand or mallet "help", and then cross tighten the back mounting screws like lug nuts on a car.

Don't neglect to check the seal at the speaker gasket as well; over tightening can distort the frame and also cause leakage. Factory Sunns only use 4 driver mounting bolts, and the drivers are tightened "snug", not "cranked down" for this reason.

Good Luck, and welcome to the forum!

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 01:05:20 pm »
Is it possible that the problem is in the amp rather than the speaker?
Isaac

Offline ROCKETBRO2

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 04:45:13 pm »
Could it be the clearance needs to be increased between the angled baffle and the speaker magnet?
73 CONCERT BASS,215 ORION

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 05:20:02 pm »
The cabinet is probably not tuned correctly for the speakers. Try stuffing a folded up blanket or quilt into the port to block it off completely. Any change to the blapping sound?