Author Topic: What about real bands?  (Read 9992 times)

Offline Will Dee

What about real bands?
« on: July 11, 2007, 04:54:29 pm »
I have a hinting suspicion that everyone is listing their own bands as Sunn users. That's so... well that's sorta cute.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Re: What about real bands?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 05:47:23 pm »
What's your definition of a "real" band, and why are the bands people list here not "real"?
Or do you mean that the bands people list here are "unreal" as in "good"?

Offline Will Dee

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 07:42:41 pm »
Oh, Ed, lighten up. I'm just joshing. I'd like to know of some known, major-label type bands that use this stuff to (easily) hear what some of the amps sound like but I don't like the band "Sunn 0)))" or all that doom stuff. That sound is just not the effect I would want from the equipment. Anyone know of some other stuff?

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 08:53:19 pm »
That was light.
In the 60's and 70's a high percentage of signed acts used Sunn. Notably Hendrix, Mountain, Beach Boys, The Who, Geddy Lee, on and on, most of them documented in this topic.
The biggest problem with current bands not using Sunn is that there is no Sunn. You would be hard pressed to find a major artist without an endorsement deal.
You can't grant endorsements if you don't exist.
Also, I think the old Sunn amps are too hi-fi for the tone tastes of most modern bands. If you do see a Sunn in use it's usually a bass player, hi-fi is good in the bass world, not as desireable in the guitar ranks.
When you crank an old Sunn into distortion, in ain't sweet by anyone's tone barometer, they flat roar. This coupled with the facts that they are LOUD amps, and they are relatively inexpensive, probably explains their popularity with stoner/doom afficianados.
There is a signed band called "The Lost Patrol" out of NY who's guitarist, I think his name is Steven, probably plays a Sceptre rig. Lots of tremelo and reverb, very clean, almost Dick Dale-ish tone. Plays a couple of very nice old Mosrite Venture guitars. Very cool stuff, excellent tone. Definately un-doom. I say probably because he almost bought my Sceptre and in fact said he did buy one locally so he probably uses one.

Offline feel the sunn

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 10:40:53 am »
Ed is right about most big acts having endorsement deals and therefore not much Sunn on a big stage.  Plus nobody wants to tour the world with a 35 year old amp that they cannot replace (unless you're Jack White).  But just because they have a marshall or whatever amp/cab onstage doesn't mean that's what you're hearing.  A lot of guys will have a small combo amp off stage or in an iso box that is mic'd up.  That big roar sometimes will be coming out of a little Fender Champ or Princeton. 

Also, what you are hearing on the record isn't always what that player is known for.  Many studios keep an arsenal of amps around and the engineer usually has a part in choosing tone on record.  The Sunn bass sound is still a favorite among many engineers and even though the bassist might play ampeg his whole life, the amp used on the record could be a sunn. 
For example, there is a local band here called Rwake.  They are signed to Relapse Records and they use the usual Mesa/Ampeg stuff for the most part.  I was looking at some pictures of them recording their last album at Electical Audio(?) which is Steve Albini's studio and there was a 2000s or something similar being used by the bassist.

I'd like to know of some known, major-label type bands that use this stuff...Anyone know of some other stuff?

There is a "bands" section with 6 pages of bands that use this stuff.  You know where it is so what I'm wondering is why start another thread when the answer is in front of you?  Hmmm, somebody who can't be bothered find out something for themselves and who expects others to want to help them, that's so... well that's sorta cute, in an annoying way. 

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 02:28:51 pm »
Plus nobody wants to tour the world with a 35 year old amp that they cannot replace (unless you're Jack White).  But just because they have a marshall or whatever amp/cab onstage doesn't mean that's what you're hearing.  A lot of guys will have a small combo amp off stage or in an iso box that is mic'd up.  That big roar sometimes will be coming out of a little Fender Champ or Princeton. 

I could elaborate for hours, name names and list equipment, but it's kind of a secret pact thing and I would be banished to the 7th level of Hades if I squealed!
I will say this; you wouldn't believe how many Fenders amps Cesar Diaz must have modified before he passed, or the percentage of those that are discretely in use.

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 04:04:23 pm »
Ed is right about most big acts having endorsement deals and therefore not much Sunn on a big stage.  Plus nobody wants to tour the world with a 35 year old amp that they cannot replace (unless you're Jack White).  But just because they have a marshall or whatever amp/cab onstage doesn't mean that's what you're hearing.  A lot of guys will have a small combo amp off stage or in an iso box that is mic'd up.  That big roar sometimes will be coming out of a little Fender Champ or Princeton.

I don't know about today - marketing is different and all of that.

But one of the great companies of the older days didn't have any endorsement deal at all - Acoustic Control Corporation. Anyone using their amps had to purchase them.

Maybe that's why I think an endorsement deal goes against the grain. Any band in a position to get an endorsement should be able to purchase it's own equipment.

A band that doesn't purchase it's own equipment - well, the only term that comes to mind is "prostitution".

Then there is someone like Neil Young. Oh yeah, playing through a tweed deluxe with some fancy gismo to change volume and tone settings.

The output of which is routed to two amps hidden behind the stage. One of which is a Baldwin Exterminator and the other is a Magnatone. Both are then miked and the signal is sent to the PA - with emphasis on the Baldwin.

Yep, his sound is all tweed deluxe tube tone.

Offline Will Dee

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 09:49:19 pm »
So I suppose this is why I have a bad Karma rating and why no one is helping me with my amp problem. Man, I don't even know how you get a bad Karma rating.

Well I certainly didn't intend to hurt anyone's feelings. When I found it, I really thought this was a pretty fun site. A wealth of information about stuff you can't read about anywhere else, tons of super self-educated sunn amp gurus that can explain this stuff to me. I was surprised with how helpful you guys are with each other. Very cool.

Most forums you can tease a bit and not be destroyed for it, but obviously I offended someone and, honestly, sorry 'bout that. I did go through most of the entries in this section, I found a bunch of classic bands that I already had and that helped. I listened to those recordings and thought, "I wonder what this sounds like through a modern recording process." Looked through again, but didn't find much of anything I might already have. I downloaded some stuff I don't have but I thought, "Hey, it's a forum, I'm sure someone will start a conversation with me and I can find out some bands I'm already familiar with that use this stuff, that would be cool." Well, guess I fucked that up.

So anyway, I swear I'm a nice guy-- didn't mean to offend.

I'll be "cute" too-- here's the myspace url to a band I'm in. I used a coli 300 (not mine, as it hasn't worked since I bought it)

http://www.myspace.com/theroyalty

Take it easy-- Will

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 11:34:16 pm »
So I suppose this is why I have a bad Karma rating and why no one is helping me with my amp problem. Man, I don't even know how you get a bad Karma rating.

Well I certainly didn't intend to hurt anyone's feelings. When I found it, I really thought this was a pretty fun site. A wealth of information about stuff you can't read about anywhere else, tons of super self-educated sunn amp gurus that can explain this stuff to me. I was surprised with how helpful you guys are with each other. Very cool.

Most forums you can tease a bit and not be destroyed for it, but obviously I offended someone and, honestly, sorry 'bout that. I did go through most of the entries in this section, I found a bunch of classic bands that I already had and that helped. I listened to those recordings and thought, "I wonder what this sounds like through a modern recording process." Looked through again, but didn't find much of anything I might already have. I downloaded some stuff I don't have but I thought, "Hey, it's a forum, I'm sure someone will start a conversation with me and I can find out some bands I'm already familiar with that use this stuff, that would be cool." Well, guess I fucked that up.

So anyway, I swear I'm a nice guy-- didn't mean to offend.

I'll be "cute" too-- here's the myspace url to a band I'm in. I used a coli 300 (not mine, as it hasn't worked since I bought it)

http://www.myspace.com/theroyalty

Take it easy-- Will

Oh, Will, lighten up.
I don't know how the Karma thing works either!

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2007, 09:15:09 am »
Oh, Will, lighten up.
I don't know how the Karma thing works either!

What's a Karma thing?

Offline feel the sunn

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2007, 02:08:36 pm »
It's all good Will. 

Maybe that's why I think an endorsement deal goes against the grain. Any band in a position to get an endorsement should be able to purchase it's own equipment.

A band that doesn't purchase it's own equipment - well, the only term that comes to mind is "prostitution".

Yep.  But the line is hazy.  If you were to use a certain amp for years because you like the sound or a guitar because you like the feel and that company is willing to give you those amps or guitars for free, why wouldn't you take them?  Especially if all you have to do is play them on stage. 
Now if you are just playing something because you get paid to play it, then you are definitely a prostitute.

Offline fatlizzard

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2007, 08:54:59 pm »

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2007, 09:24:51 am »

I don't know about today - marketing is different and all of that.

But one of the great companies of the older days didn't have any endorsement deal at all - Acoustic Control Corporation. Anyone using their amps had to purchase them.

Most of the endorsement "deals" I am aware of are exactly that, a "deal". They players mostly do pay for their equipment, but it's a "deal"; either dealer cost, actual manufacturers cost or something in between. Or nothing; call Ampeg and ask for an endorsement and they will send you a list of retail dealers and a form letter wishing you good luck in your musical career.
You have to be a household name to get free gear, if you're important enough you can get free gear and get also paid for your likeness in advertisements, interview quotes, never appearing live or in print without their gear, etc. (that's where the "amp in a box" comes into play); but mostly you have to pay something for the gear.
I don't know, but I'll wager that Acoustic Control Corporation didn't make their artists go to a store and pay full retail for their gear. I'm also pretty damn sure Jaco Pastorius didn't appear in their print ads for free...

Then there is someone like Neil Young. Oh yeah, playing through a tweed deluxe with some fancy gismo to change volume and tone settings.

The output of which is routed to two amps hidden behind the stage. One of which is a Baldwin Exterminator and the other is a Magnatone. Both are then miked and the signal is sent to the PA - with emphasis on the Baldwin.

Yep, his sound is all tweed deluxe tube tone.

Prostitute or Capitalist, a thin line indeed! Should a pro athete not endorse shoes? Should Flea not play Gallien Krueger? I don't know, I don't get free ANYTHING!!!

Offline Ryanx

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2007, 12:22:57 am »
awesome band Modern Life is War out of Iowa uses i think the 300t, ive seen them run model t's.

awesome band, awesome sound.  they also use traynor and old old ampegs