Author Topic: Earth / Dylan Carlson  (Read 5699 times)

Offline jdfarrell81

Earth / Dylan Carlson
« on: May 23, 2010, 07:01:08 am »
I was surprised to see that Earth hasn't really been mentioned here, and, although Dylan Carlson has never been a strict Sunn devotee, he has and continues to use Sunn amps to beautiful and deafening effect. After all, the their 1st live album is titled "Sunn Amps and Smashed Guitars." Still, in addition to the mighty Model T, I've seen Dylan using dual Marshall stacks, Ampeg V4's, and Silverface Fender Bassmans.

Starting in 1990 with the Sub-Pop released "Extra Capsular Extraction" and continuing with the landmark "Earth 2," Carlson and Co. arguably launched the modern drone movement. More structured and "musical" than later drone efforts by bands such as Boris and SunnO))), Earth--in my opinion--offered the most thoughtful and well-crafted drone until SunnO)))'s most recent album, "Monoliths and Dimensions."

In recent years, Earth have focused more on clean tones and soundscapes, but I'll always prefer their earlier efforts. If you're into this sort of thing and don't already have Earth's back catalog, I highly recommend buying it. If you can't afford it, drop me a line, and I'll make sure you get copies.

Cheers,
James

Offline stanner

• s t a n o s a u r
Re: Earth / Dylan Carlson
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 02:15:48 pm »
real old news :-P
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Offline jdfarrell81

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 07:26:58 pm »
This is a site dedicated to amps that are 30 to 40 years old, and you're complaining that something is "old news"?

Offline stanner

• s t a n o s a u r
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 08:25:31 pm »
nott complaining-simply facts-lov the old EARTH stuff and we have talked about it on this site in the past
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Offline Walt-Dogg

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 01:35:16 am »
Well I haven't. I'm interested. My friend just got me into them.

I'm more of a fan of punk edged 70's rock and noise/mathcore.

But this is some pretty good stuff.
Gibson Les Paul Special
Electra X260
Squier Precision Bass MIJ
Science Hellhawk 100w
Ampeg VT-22/V-4
Science Mother
Mojotone Bluesbreaker 2x12
Mojotone British 4x12
Ampeg SVT 810

Offline jdfarrell81

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 06:13:41 am »
Good to hear that folks are still discovering (and liking) Earth.

You mentioned liking noise and mathcore, too. Any recommendations?

I was really into the Amphetamine Reptile roster for awhile, but I haven't followed those genres for a few years. It'd be good to get back into it. I know some of the older Amrep bands used Sunn gear. Probably because it was actually affordable 20 years ago.

Offline Walt-Dogg

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 10:50:01 pm »
Classics like The Locust and Arab On Radar, there's Xbxrx, I really like The Fall of Troy, they're more of an experimental/post-hardcore sound though. Hmm, who else. Oh there's this somewhat local band called Graf Orlock, they're more on the hardcore/grindcore side of it but they're pretty awesome.
Gibson Les Paul Special
Electra X260
Science Hellhawk 100w
Ampeg VT-22/V-4
Science Mother
Mojotone British 4x12
Ampeg SVT 810

Offline jdfarrell81

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 06:04:20 pm »
Thanks for the recommendations. Much appreciated! I'll have to check them out. I remember hearing an early Locust record, and it was madness--in the best possible way.

Offline Walt-Dogg

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 03:06:08 am »
You're welcome! I know what you mean, first time I heard the Locust was their first 20 song LP, 16 minutes of pure bliss.

BTW, Fall of Troy's bass player, well most recent bass player uses a Red Knob Coliseum Bass on an Ampeg 8x10. But that doesn't mean too much anymore since they've since broken up earlier this year.

Pissed Jeans falls into the noise category, a bit grungey and a bit punk but very awesome and same goes for this punk outfit from NC called Logic Problem they use Sunn gear and have a noise aspect to them.
Gibson Les Paul Special
Electra X260
Science Hellhawk 100w
Ampeg VT-22/V-4
Science Mother
Mojotone British 4x12
Ampeg SVT 810

Offline NsubUlysses

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010, 05:40:28 pm »
Does Graf Orlock use Sunn gear?? I played with them a few years ago and I think the dude had a Mesa or something

Offline Walt-Dogg

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 05:57:04 pm »
Does Graf Orlock use Sunn gear?? I played with them a few years ago and I think the dude had a Mesa or something
Their bass player uses a Fender Sunn 300T
Gibson Les Paul Special
Electra X260
Science Hellhawk 100w
Ampeg VT-22/V-4
Science Mother
Mojotone British 4x12
Ampeg SVT 810

Offline jdfarrell81

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 07:17:09 pm »
The 300T is probably the best sounding bass amp I've ever owned. It was also the heaviest, which is why I sold that beast.

I'd really love to see more folks use the 300T as a guitar amp. The 300T used to be my primary guitar head. I ran it through a 1970 Sunn 2x15 w/ the vintage CTS transducers, and it sounded godly.

Offline chev

• feel the tone!
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2010, 11:08:15 am »
The 300T is probably the best sounding bass amp I've ever owned. It was also the heaviest, which is why I sold that beast.

I'd really love to see more folks use the 300T as a guitar amp. The 300T used to be my primary guitar head. I ran it through a 1970 Sunn 2x15 w/ the vintage CTS transducers, and it sounded godly.

I love Earth when I want to take a break from my drone and sludge extreme stuff...

I use the 300T 2x15 cab for my 1971 Solarus 80w KT88/GZ34 with my lespaul baritone and it rules! make stuff fall all around haha!

Sunn Model T 1st gen+Sunn 215s+Sunn 412s, Sunn Beta Bass+Sunn 215+Sunn Coliseum Slave+2 x Sunn 115

Offline stanner

• s t a n o s a u r
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2010, 02:02:55 pm »

...make stuff fall all around haha!

:-D :-D

AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER