Author Topic: Sunn Speaker Recone parts  (Read 5238 times)

Offline akindle

Sunn Speaker Recone parts
« on: December 26, 2009, 01:05:40 pm »
Has anybody here actualy reconed there own speakers? I am ready to attempt. Would like to now cone,spider,or even voice coil numbers from a supplier. That way wouldnt order the wrong stuff. My speakers are 10" 108g sunn transducer. I have some that do not have the transducer label. I assume they are the same dimensions. The cone is 9 1/4" diameter. 5 rib with a seam. The top has 3 ribs that glue to frame. Spider is 4 1/2"/4.465 od.The voice coil hole is 1 1/2"/1.523 ID. Depth of cone is 2 1/4"/? The aluminum dust cap is 2 5/8" diameter. I have cleaned these and appear reusible. The voice coil reads 7 ohm. But need the secret to remoming the clear glue at the cone and spider conection. The black glue is brittle. Most likely could be cleaned fairly easy. But what do people do if voice coils are not available? I've cleaned the frame and coil hole. I'm ready to get parts but from where and what numbers. Wma,? mentioned in other posts only sell to dealers. The weber speaker site has a good measurements on there site and cheap. Any Help? Thanks Aaron
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 01:16:35 pm by akindle »

Offline akindle

Re: Sunn Speaker Recone parts
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 07:50:17 am »
I have ordered parts from weber. After i get them. I'll post the numbers if everything looks original and mathces up.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 10:15:41 am »
Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

And pictures would be great!
Isaac

Offline george

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 09:29:07 am »
I have used MEK or a very good (i.e. toxic paint remover) to get the fram surfaces very clean. Make sure you clean the gap of the magnet assembly where the VC will go. Doubled sided tape or something like that will need to be "wiped" through the gap. Also, you must have a very clean work space and keep things organized.

Offline basiklybass

• My Sunn's
    • The Old Days
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 12:22:18 pm »
You have to be a professional reconer to buy from MWA.

If the VC's or cones are not available the best you can do is get close and hope they work. There are no numbers available now that Image has gone out of business. Measure everything and every possible dimension and hope for the best. Height of spider, height of VC, winding depth, winding layers....everything.

MEK or Lacquer Thinner works best for cleaning old glue. Make sure you have good ventilation or do it outside, the smell and fumes are nasty and can make you sick.

Don't forget the shims to center the VC.

Offline 10inchsunn

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 02:35:23 pm »
Has anybody here actualy reconed there own speakers? I am ready to attempt. Would like to now cone,spider,or even voice coil numbers from a supplier. That way wouldnt order the wrong stuff. My speakers are 10" 108g sunn transducer. I have some that do not have the transducer label. I assume they are the same dimensions. The cone is 9 1/4" diameter. 5 rib with a seam. The top has 3 ribs that glue to frame. Spider is 4 1/2"/4.465 od.The voice coil hole is 1 1/2"/1.523 ID. Depth of cone is 2 1/4"/? The aluminum dust cap is 2 5/8" diameter. I have cleaned these and appear reusible. The voice coil reads 7 ohm. But need the secret to remoming the clear glue at the cone and spider conection. The black glue is brittle. Most likely could be cleaned fairly easy. But what do people do if voice coils are not available? I've cleaned the frame and coil hole. I'm ready to get parts but from where and what numbers. Wma,? mentioned in other posts only sell to dealers. The weber speaker site has a good measurements on there site and cheap. Any Help? Thanks Aaron

Offline akindle

Re: Sunn Speaker Recone part Numbers pics
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 07:46:25 pm »
Here is a list of parts for sunn 10" speakers purchaced from Weber Speakers.
Cone WC10Q $5.00
Spider SN2    $1.00
Voice Coil vc1515h $2.00
Gasket G10    $1.25
Tinsel Wire     $.70  Total $9.95 not counting dust cap. or shipping
This is not complete instructions. There is videos on youtube. But i have added pictures just because they are sunn speakers. I rebuilt 6 speakers with only one issue. I let super glue run down the voice coil causing it to rub. So aligned the voice coil with just the spider on. Then glued it off the speaker basket. Then glued the spider,then the cone and gasket to the basket. I used super glue for the voice coil. Clear speaker glue on the cone joints and gasket. Black speaker glue for the voice coil wire,tinsel wire through the cone and on the dust cap.The spider and voice coil fit perfect.The 10" gasket is tan. So i painted the top and sides. The cone center hole is smaller than 1.5 inch. Set The voice coil on the cone. Draw a circle on the cone and cut it out with scissors. The only problem on parts is the 2.5 inch  aluminum vented dust cap. I bought some on ebay. But would like to now where they can be bought. If they are lightly dented. Carefully remove your old one. It can be straightened  easily from the back side. I cant stress clean enough. Keep that voice coil free from debris. As far as getting the old glue off. Tried mek laquer thinner,acri sol,paint thinner. The 1/2" wide flat blade that comes with exacto knife set worked the best.  Holding the bevel edge of the blade down. The dried glue flaked off  easily.Then finished up with laquer thinner.
Next project.The handles for an amp.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 06:51:04 pm by akindle »