Author Topic: Concert Lead + Concert Bass  (Read 2839 times)

Offline Walt-Dogg

Concert Lead + Concert Bass
« on: February 23, 2011, 10:59:23 pm »
I could use the Pre-Amp Out on my Concert Lead to the Power Amp In on my Concert Bass and be using the pre-amp in my Concert Lead the power amps in both amps correct?
Gibson Les Paul Special
Electra X260
Squier Precision Bass MIJ
Science Hellhawk 100w
Ampeg VT-22/V-4
Science Mother
Mojotone Bluesbreaker 2x12
Mojotone British 4x12
Ampeg SVT 810

Offline warandhairstyle

Re: Concert Lead + Concert Bass
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 08:32:20 am »
I don't think so... Once you pre-amp out of one amp then it bypasses the power amp section of that amp.  I've never tried with a Concert Lead but that's how my old Beta and my Acoustics work - someone correct me if I'm wrong.  I suppose you could experiment with splitting the signal out of the preamp, and routing one back into the same amp and one into the other power amp, but I've never tried this and it seems like the sort of thing that could (should?) lead to disaster.
When life gives you lemons, buy amplifiers.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 09:44:11 am »
I could use the Pre-Amp Out on my Concert Lead to the Power Amp In on my Concert Bass and be using the pre-amp in my Concert Lead the power amps in both amps correct?
Correct.

warandhairstyle, the preamp is disconnected when a plug is inserted into the power amp in jack, but not when the preamp out is used. That way, there is always an input to the power amp, either from the on board preamp or from the power amp in jack.
Isaac

Offline Greg_M

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 10:20:07 am »
Why not use a "Y" connector and run to both preamps?

Then if you wanted an effect or different tone setting, volume etc (on one amp) you could manage each amp separately

Offline Walt-Dogg

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 03:01:30 pm »
I just wanna use the Concert Bass as a slave to run my 2x15 cab through my Concert Lead along with my 4x12. So thanks Issac for clearing that up, I wasn't entirely sure if that was the case, or if it was even safe!
Gibson Les Paul Special
Electra X260
Squier Precision Bass MIJ
Science Hellhawk 100w
Ampeg VT-22/V-4
Science Mother
Mojotone Bluesbreaker 2x12
Mojotone British 4x12
Ampeg SVT 810

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 05:06:55 pm »
.... or if it was even safe!

Unless both amps have three wire line cords in good condition, you may get a mild shock when you are connecting the amps together (even if they are both off!) and you could conceivably damage one or both amps. Unplug both before you connect the cable between amps. Unless both ground switches are in the correct position, you will get a mild shock when you touch another guitar player or anything connected to the PA system. Get those line cords replaced and the "Death Caps" removed.

Offline warandhairstyle

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 06:11:09 pm »
Isaac,
Hmm, I understand what you're saying but that's not at all how I remember it.  I no longer have my beta to do hands on testing, but I'm almost certain when I ran the two preamps out (to separate power amps) then the beta's power amp was disengaged and the head made no sound.  Maybe I'll fiddle with my Acoustics and see what they do.

Sorry if I've spread any misinformation!

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 12:27:18 pm »
Isaac,
Hmm, I understand what you're saying but that's not at all how I remember it.  I no longer have my beta to do hands on testing, but I'm almost certain when I ran the two preamps out (to separate power amps) then the beta's power amp was disengaged and the head made no sound.  Maybe I'll fiddle with my Acoustics and see what they do.

Sorry if I've spread any misinformation!

It's possible that the Beta is different, but that would surprise me. I've never had or used an amp in which plugging into the preamp out disconnected the power amp. It makes no sense to me to do it that way.
Isaac

Offline warandhairstyle

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 02:27:07 pm »
Interesting.  Well, all my SS Sunn gear is gone now, but I'll play around with my Acoustics next chance I get and see if I'm nuts or what.

Offline ROCKETBRO2

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 03:09:37 pm »
With just the preamp out, is there no load on the amp?
73 CONCERT BASS,215 ORION

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 09:40:32 am »
Depends on whether or not a load is connected to the amp in the first place. Plugging a cord into the preamp out doesn't change the power amp's status at all.

For a solid state amp, not having a load is not an issue. As the load impedance goes up, the load current goes down, and the power produced by the power amp goes down. Nothing connected to the power amp output is essentially an infinite load, so the power out is essentially zero. The amp hums merrily along (well, it doesn't actually hum, but you know what I mean), producing a voltage but putting out no current and therefore no power. Never overheats, never gets tired.
Isaac