Author Topic: info on Sunn 3x12 cab?  (Read 6516 times)

Offline Gloomy

info on Sunn 3x12 cab?
« on: March 06, 2006, 03:48:23 am »
Hey there, I just joined this board and I've been looking around but have been unable to find much info about this cab. Could anyone point me in the right direction? I've found one for sale and I just want to read up a bit first before buying it.  

thanks!

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
info on Sunn 3x12 cab?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 04:02:59 pm »
What do you want to know?

It has three 12" drivers, a rated impedance of approximately 5.3 ohms, which makes it perhaps better suited to a solid state power amp. The drivers are recessed, which gives it a somewhat longer throw than surface mounted cabinets. Not exactly a horn, but not exactly a direct radiator, either.
Isaac

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
info on Sunn 3x12 cab?
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 04:27:12 pm »
5.3 ohms.  Easily at home with a tube amp set to 4 or 8 ohms.

Hey, I love solid state amps, but to claim a speaker configuration is only suited to solid state amps... well, just ain't right.

Speaker ratings in terms of "ohms" is nominal - an average at best.

Offline Gloomy

info on Sunn 3x12 cab?
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 08:15:56 am »
I just wanted to find out some basic info about it. I want to get a cab that I can drive really loud and not worry too much about blowing anything. I have a solid state head, but plan on getting a tube head soon to replace it.

thanks for the info!

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
info on Sunn 3x12 cab?
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006, 09:03:06 am »
Quote from: JoeArthur
5.3 ohms.  Easily at home with a tube amp set to 4 or 8 ohms.

Hey, I love solid state amps, but to claim a speaker configuration is only suited to solid state amps... well, just ain't right.

Speaker ratings in terms of "ohms" is nominal - an average at best.
Did I say "only"? No, I did not. I said, "perhaps better suited". I try to choose my words carefully. It's a wasted effort if you're not going to read what I actually write. If you want to talk about what "just ain't right", let's start with misquoting and misrepresenting what someone else has said.

What Joe said about impedance being "nominal - an average at best" is good information. Speakers have a tremendously variable impedance, dependent on frequency. It's a complex subject (pun intended).
Isaac

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
info on Sunn 3x12 cab?
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2006, 09:09:25 am »
Quote from: Gloomy
I just wanted to find out some basic info about it. I want to get a cab that I can drive really loud and not worry too much about blowing anything. I have a solid state head, but plan on getting a tube head soon to replace it.

thanks for the info!
You should be fine. As Joe pointed out, it certainly will work with a tube head. However, remember that any cabinet can be blown out if it's pushed too hard, or too long. There weren't very many really high powered amps back when this was made, and few high power handling speakers. What are you planning to push this with, and how hard?
Isaac

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
info on Sunn 3x12 cab?
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2006, 10:06:07 am »
Quote from: Isaac
Did I say "only"? No, I did not. I said, "perhaps better suited". I try to choose my words carefully. It's a wasted effort if you're not going to read what I actually write. If you want to talk about what "just ain't right", let's start with misquoting and misrepresenting what someone else has said.

I didn't misquote or misrepresent what you said.  My statement was totally standalone - your post just triggered the thought.  I chose to state my thought more absolutely.  Nothing personal intended.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
info on Sunn 3x12 cab?
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2006, 10:11:27 am »
And no offense taken.
Isaac

Offline Gloomy

info on Sunn 3x12 cab?
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2006, 03:17:08 pm »
Quote from: Isaac
Quote from: Gloomy

thanks for the info!
You should be fine. As Joe pointed out, it certainly will work with a tube head. However, remember that any cabinet can be blown out if it's pushed too hard, or too long. There weren't very many really high powered amps back when this was made, and few high power handling speakers. What are you planning to push this with, and how hard?

well, I may end up with a jcm 800 or 900, depends on what I find. I'm also planning on using a Peavey 120 stereo power amp. I'm going to be playing some shows as a two piece with a drummer so I want to be able fill a lot of space.

Offline aaronsg71

Re: info on Sunn 3x12 cab?
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2013, 02:03:47 pm »
Ever get info on this cab? I have one also
Love me some old gear

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 03:08:35 pm »
Ever get info on this cab? I have one also
I'll ask you the same question I asked Gloomy: what do you want to know? I'd say he got quite a bit of info on this cab.
Isaac

Offline aaronsg71

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2014, 10:39:51 pm »
So I can run my 3x12 Sunn in the 8 ohm output of my peavey Triumph 120? Thx
Love me some old gear

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2014, 12:20:47 am »
Should be fine. The only issue I'd worry about is that, if the Peavey is run wide open, it can put out around 240 watts. The 312S is rated at 180w, so the drivers could be damaged. I can't think of very many situations where one would try to do that, so it should be okay.
Isaac