Author Topic: The Stooges  (Read 5860 times)

Offline FrankenStrat

The Stooges
« on: January 16, 2016, 05:59:34 pm »
I just saw a photo of Ron Ashton playing through what look like Coliseum Leads in Rolling Stones list of greatest guitarists, #60.

Offline Rancho Rauncho

Re: The Stooges
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 12:00:18 pm »
Well, that is Ron, but the pic is from the Mk II/"Raw Power" version of The Stooges, when James Williamson took over on guitar, and Ron got 'demoted' to bass. If you look closely, you can see him playing an early 70's Gibson SB bass, which replaced the classic EB3's. Horrible junk that was indicative of Gibson's Norlin-era downslide. Ron also used a Guild JS II bass, which was derivative of  the EB/SG body shape, but was a much better instrument all around. In this '72-'74 era of the band, yes, they did have Sunn backlines, Coliseums and Concerts, not always, and I'm not sure James used much of it. I've seen pics where James is playing through Marshalls or Traynors. In the original incarnation of the band with Ron on guitar and Dave Alexander on bass, while both of them favored Marshalls, I have seen concert photos with Sunn 2000s cabs in the background. As ragtag a band as they were(and also the MC5, who certainly used Sunn gear at times), I'm sure they used whatever amps they could scrounge up or whatever was given to them.

Offline Rancho Rauncho

Re: The Stooges
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 12:09:15 pm »
Also, on the actual "Raw Power" album, recorded by David Bowie in the UK, while I have no idea what Ron was playing through for bass(Marshall, most likely?), all of James' guitar parts were a Strat or Les Paul through a cranked Vox AC30.

Offline lovikpoy

• Где найти Мастера электрики?
The St
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 10:04:29 am »
it won't do well in the box office, but it will be a good thing for Stooges fans, I think