Author Topic: Buying an SL260  (Read 3780 times)

Offline leatherface62

Buying an SL260
« on: September 24, 2015, 03:17:24 pm »
Hi folks!. New guy here. Just pulled the trigger on an SL260, and of course it is missing the original foot switch. Nothing out of the ordinary here. I'm just wondering if a typical one or two button Fender or ??? foot switch will work to change channels on this combo(?). I will search for an original (which might take forever). It has a single 1/4" phone jack marked "foot switch" on the top right side of the back panel.
It's gonna take a bit for the amp to get to me, and I'm not on a tight band schedule or anything like that, so I'm not looking for an answer yesterday.
Glad to be here BTW  :-) Here's a pic of my latest home-assembled guitar I'd be using with that combo.

Offline Watson

• House Kustoms Guitars and Amps
Re: Buying an SL260
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 07:46:15 pm »
Welcome! 

You will need a footswitch in order to select just the A or just the B channel conveniently.  With no footswitch plugged into the jack, both A and B channels are on. With the footswitch plugged in, you can select either A or B channel.  You can still use the channels separately without the footswitch by turning the "other" channel's volume off.

Here's the owners manual and schematic for the 260 and its footswitch.  It's a simple circuit with just a couple of leds, diodes and a resistor.

As far as the nature of the footswitch circuit, a simple on/off isn't likely to work although no harm trying.  I think it is likely it will just toggle between the A channel with the footswitch clicked on and both channels with the footswitch clicked off. I think the amp will interpret "off" as no footswitch is plugged in. 

Enjoy!

Offline leatherface62

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 10:41:21 pm »
Thank you very much Watson! What you mentioned about turning one of the channel's volume down to use the other channel reminded me of the Randall RG-80 ES sitting on the floor in my bedroom LOL. No foot switch there either...the one with the 6-prong plug.
The schematic will help if I have to build/rebuild one. I have a metal housing from one that didn't work, and a cheap little plastic one that does work for 1/4" on my no-name 50 watt tube head.
That's quite a welcome! Thanks Again :-D
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 02:16:01 am by leatherface62 »

Offline leatherface62

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 12:46:39 pm »
The SL 260 arrived yesterday FedEx.....just before I had to run to work.
After work (2:30 am Sunn-day!) I plugged in an old single button generic TS plug footswitch I had collecting dust for years....Pleasantly surprised IT WORKS like it's supposed to. Changes channels just fine. Happy about that!
The amp look's almost new, work's like new. Very hard to put the guitar down and shut the amp off.

EDIT: OH YEAH....it's obvious to the trained eye that the knob's on this amp are not original. They are all black knurled dome-style guitar vol/tone knobs with allen set screws, apparently installed by the previous owner. But they all match. Make's the amp look a bit meaner.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 06:41:19 am by leatherface62 »

Offline Watson

• House Kustoms Guitars and Amps
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 08:47:01 am »
In case you didn't get one...I have no connection to the auction, just noticed it was being offered.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1970s-Sunn-SL-160-SL-260-Guitar-Amplifier-Operators-Manual-/321910660591?hash=item4af35eddef:g:t2YAAOSwxYxUz~wn

Offline leatherface62

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 11:00:43 am »
Thank you for pointing that one out. Been looking at it already. Maybe....