Author Topic: Basic Info on various models  (Read 2049 times)

Offline Sirgoofd

Basic Info on various models
« on: May 20, 2016, 01:29:19 pm »
If this is common knowledge or already been asked, feel free to delete this,
I was just wondering if someone could link me to, or make a list of different Sunn models, average pricing, and a description of the various tone differences they each have, whether or not they are tube or SS, maybe even common issues, and rarity?

Ex:
"Sentura II - $600 - Manufactured 1968-1974, Great Bass tone, lacking mids... etc
"Solarus - $700 - Manufactured 1969- 1970, .....etc"

PS those examples are just bs i made up, i know very little info on the specs.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Re: Basic Info on various models
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 01:59:49 pm »
Models by year can be found here;

http://sunnforum.ampage.org/index.php/topic,4178.0.html

If by "average pricing" you mean average current market value, that is dependent on lots of factors like condition, originality and such, but mostly determined by the desirability of the specific piece relative to who's buying and who's selling. Not a lot of help about market value here, other than the reported and verified sale $ numbers that get posted occasionally. Try eBay completed auctions.
There are a few original price lists floating among forum members if you have a specific original list price question.

Various tone differences are in the ear of the listeners, and like current market value subjective, but for the most part the vintage Sunns were loud and pretty hi-fi tonally. Pretty even across the 20-20Khz range.

The search feature is your friend. Using it can help you pick out tube from transistor, scarcity, common issues, etc.

Offline Sirgoofd

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 02:15:09 pm »
Thank you! Pricing I honestly wasn't really concerned about. And yes tone is obviously subjective, but Im sure there are some noticable differences between models that could help me decide what I am looking for.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 10:46:01 pm »
The tube amps themselves are more similar than you might think, with most of the old tube heads being either the Sceptre under various names or the 200S under various names. The larger heads, such as the 2000S, have the same preamp sections and larger power sections. There are a few variations, but not many, and tonally they're almost identical. The Model T is it's own beast, though. Actually, more than one. The first generation (1G) amp is one thing, and the 2G something else again. The late 90s Fender Model T is a completely different amp again. I know very  little about the Enforcer, but I suspect that it's unique, too.

Along the same lines, the solid state amps fall into just a few general classes. The silver and black Concert series amps are all similar, the black Concert amps are all similar, and the Coliseum amps are all similar.

In my opinion, all Sunn amps share a family resemblance in that they all tend to be very clean and powerful. They take pedals well, but are not famous for their own distortion. Although, I did read an interview with a famous guitarist - it was a long time ago, and I don't remember where I read it nor who the guitarist was - who said that the best distortion in the world was a Sunn Concert Lead, cranked. He likely had stacks of Marshalls on stage for show, but definitely had a Concert Lead backstage, miked into the PA.
Isaac