Author Topic: Sunn & Acoustic - WOW  (Read 10227 times)

Offline bigobassman

• "You can't have too much bass."
Sunn & Acoustic - WOW
« on: December 17, 2010, 09:00:21 pm »
I dug out my Acoustic 301 cab that I've had put back for a while to install an original Cerwin Vega 18 that I've recently acquired.  To get to this cab, I had to remove from the storage building the 2 Sunn 118 VH cabs that I purchased a couple of years ago.  After installing the CV in the Acoustic cab, it was time to do a sound test.  I hooked up the Acoustic 370 head to the 301 cab and proceeded to impress myself with its sound.  Before putting the rig back up, I thought it'd be fun to add one of the Sunn 118 VH cabs to the Acoustic rig.  With each cab being 4 ohms, I would reach the full potential of the 2 ohm 370 head.  It was then that my ears really went into bass heaven.  As indicated in the subject line - WOW  :-o  That combination was incredible.  With the sweet warm Acoustic rig mixed with the amazing deep deep thundering lows of the Sunn - well - real nice!   :-D
"You can't have too much bass."

Offline chev

• feel the tone!
Re: Sunn & Acoustic - WOW
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 12:41:09 pm »
sounds cool! I've always been curious about the horn sunn cabs...one day if I get to find one i'll have to take it...! :-D

the 2 times I eard them, on baritone or bass, the sound was jaw dropping! :-o
Sunn Model T 1st gen+Sunn 215s+Sunn 412s, Sunn Beta Bass+Sunn 215+Sunn Coliseum Slave+2 x Sunn 115

Offline Walt-Dogg

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 11:20:33 pm »
I've been planning on trading my Concert Bass for an Acoustic 370 for a while, but I'm not sure if I can part my it from 215B, but I want to hear how the 370 will sound out of the 215B and best of all I can safely add an Ampeg 8x10 to the deal.
Gibson Les Paul Special
Electra X260
Squier Precision Bass MIJ
Science Hellhawk 100w
Ampeg VT-22/V-4
Science Mother
Mojotone Bluesbreaker 2x12
Mojotone British 4x12
Ampeg SVT 810

Offline bigobassman

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 08:21:09 pm »
chev                yes, jaw dropping would be an accurate description.   :-D

Walt-Dogg        I can't help you much on the Concert Bass.  The only Sunn head that I have is a Coloseum 
                       300.  I also have a 215B.  I've not matched the 370 with the 215B cab.  Interesting
                       idea though.  I'll give it a shot one day and give you my review.   :-)

Offline rot gut

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 07:26:02 am »
Ive heard a 370 through a 215b, it sounds good.

Offline Red Rocket

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 07:58:29 am »
Can you post some pics of your equipment? How rare is that Acoustic stuff - I don't think I've ever seen any.

Offline warandhairstyle

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 09:10:55 am »
When life gives you lemons, buy amplifiers.

Offline bigobassman

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 08:07:54 pm »
War has presented you with a nice slice of old Acoustic rigs.  Not a 301 cab that I see, but he may have one somewhere.  I've put mine back in storage for the moment.  I do have a recent pic of my Acoustic 450 head and 106 cab.  I'll see if I can get it posted. 

The Acoustic site is a cool one too.   :-D

Offline Happy Face

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 08:08:21 pm »
This is such an awesome posting.

Such a relief from the crap you read on the wimpy boards. Such as the the common and very annoying: "A couple of people came up after I played and told me how loud my [insert ultra-light 1x10" speaker cab] sounded.

Loud aint the same as tone, little fellas!!!

Offline bigobassman

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 09:23:41 pm »
I've put the 371 (301 cab+370 head) back in the storage building.  Here's my 450 head, 106 cab and Dean (not sure of specific model) as used a few weeks ago accompanying the middle/high school chorus group at my church.  Pic is in the sanctuary.   :-)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 09:31:00 pm by bigobassman »

Offline Red Rocket

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, 09:59:18 am »
Cool, that looks mint. Do you have any close-up detail photos, like you might have for insurance purposes? And maybe a description of the controls, etc.

Offline warandhairstyle

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2011, 12:33:18 pm »
Red Rocket - the best source for photos of Acoustics is in the Acoustic forum, under the thread "Look At The Rigs".

The 2 best features about the 450 (which is my main gigging amp in one band) is 1) the distortion circuit and 2) the EQ sliders.  It was designed for both guitar and bass, so the last 2 EQ bands are very high - 1100 and 2200 I believe.  When used for bass, especially with the Lead switch on, you get some very interesting harmonic and overtone content in your bass sound if you crank those sliders, and an interesting deletion if you drop them.  And nothing else in the world sounds like that distortion.  Just my 2ยข.  450 + 106 is def a winning combination.
When life gives you lemons, buy amplifiers.

Offline Red Rocket

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2011, 12:44:40 pm »
Thanks. I did a pretty extensive search - managed to find the Acoustic mfg site http://www.acousticamplification.com/

But I could not find a link to a forum. Could you post a direct link please?

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2011, 03:48:43 pm »
Thanks. I did a pretty extensive search - managed to find the Acoustic mfg site http://www.acousticamplification.com/

But I could not find a link to a forum. Could you post a direct link please?

Try this:
http://unofficialacousticcontrolcorpmessageboard.yuku.com/