Author Topic: Acoustic Heads  (Read 1983 times)

dypak@mail.com

Acoustic Heads
« on: January 21, 2003, 01:03:56 am »
Question for all you tech heads, I know that it is beyond this forum, but I have the opportunity to pick up an acoustic 360 solid state amp for $109.  Wadda think?  Anyhow thanks for yer help my email is brodienelson@attbi.com.

brodie

Offline RichBriere

• http://www.richbriere.com
Acoustic Heads
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2003, 08:12:27 am »
Yo Brodie,

I'd jump on it in a second if the head is working or easily fixable.

As far as not being a topic for discusiion here, (although I'm not the moderator I happen to know that ours is a great guy), I'd have to disagree. We're all Brothers and Sisters in good taste, are we not?  :D  If you're taste is such that you're a Sunn fan, you probably have a little room in your hip pocket for Acoustic as well. It's kind of a "Love of the Underdog" thing I believe.

Bass-ically Yours,
RB
MTD & Sunn: They're addictive!  :^>)

Offline rumblethump

Acoustic Heads
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2003, 11:24:21 am »
Brodie, the Acoustic 360 head is just a preamp.  :cry:  The 361 Speaker cabinet houses the amp section.   The 370 head is a preamp and amp which can be found on Ebay from $150 - $350.
A World without music would be WRONG!

Offline RichBriere

Acoustic Heads
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2003, 01:00:58 pm »
Like I said, Brodie......we're one big family here. I like Rumblethump because he saves me when I screw up.  :D   Sorry, I saw a 370 head in my mind when you asked the question.

Is the 360 "cab" the one that used to catch fire all the time??

Bass-ically Yours,
RB

Offline rumblethump

Acoustic Heads
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2003, 06:05:52 pm »
"Is the 360 "cab" the one that used to catch fire all the time??"  Fire?? Well they were pretty darn hot when Jaco and Larry used em  :wink:
A World without music would be WRONG!

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
Acoustic Heads
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2003, 11:03:06 am »
Rich... is it possible you are confusing Acoustic with the Sunn Orion series?

:D  :D  :D

Offline RichBriere

Fire--A Bad Thing!
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2003, 12:25:12 pm »
:o

Joe..........all I can remember is being a salesperson in a music store during the late 60's and on through the 70's. During that time I recall seeing a certain speaker cabinet always coming through the door because the contained-power-amplifier had started the cab on fire. Am I dreaming or did such a cabinet exist??   :P

And please.......tell me it's not a Sunn product. I'll be crushed!  8)

PS: I also recall some REALLY weird Standel stuff that came out in the 70's. It stacked up in a really funky rack and sounded awful.........unlike the earlier, Standel Imperial stuff which I've always been a fan of.

Sunn, Standel, Vox, Acoustic???  Should I be locked up somewhere?  :)

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
Acoustic Heads
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2003, 08:45:46 am »
Rich... I was actually only half kidding.  Don't know about fires, but power amp failures were at least part of the reason Sunn pulled the Orion series.  They did use the power amp in the cab... just like Acoustic did with the 360.

The late 60's were a wonderful time for amps.  A/B comparisons of a Sunn 100s, an Acoustic 260 and a Vox Super Beatle.  It's the stuff dreams are made of...

I remember those Standel amps.  You could get a "head" like a combo amp on the rack... an extension speaker module and even a powered extension speaker module.  The advertisement was that the rack would allow you to pivot the speaker cabs for the most effective direction of sound.  Metal extruded diamond shaped grilles... with slotted ports along each side.  The most modules I ever saw on a rack were three.  I also remember the "head" control unit used concentric knobs.

You forgot Kustoms!!!