Author Topic: 2000s... for guitar???  (Read 3415 times)

Offline adangerlg

2000s... for guitar???
« on: August 25, 2007, 07:47:42 pm »
It seems like Sunn bass amps are a little easier to find and a little less expensive than Sunn guitar amps.  Anyone have any opinions on using a Sunn bass amp (like the 2000s) as a guitar amp?  Are there any that you would recommend over the others?

Here are my preferences:
Head only - no combos
Around 100 watts (unless its a killer sounding 50 watts or something)
No solid state

I play some very Sabbathesque heavy rock.

Also, could anyone recommend a Sunn guitar amp - you know, just in case.

Thanks!

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Re: 2000s... for guitar???
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 12:16:04 am »
It seems like Sunn bass amps are a little easier to find and a little less expensive than Sunn guitar amps.  Anyone have any opinions on using a Sunn bass amp (like the 2000s) as a guitar amp?  Are there any that you would recommend over the others?

As far as I can tell the guitar amps and bass amps are pretty close to the same market price. Bass amps are probably more common because I believe they made more of them, Sunn started with a bass amp and I think they were traditionally most popular with bass players. The differences between the guitar and bass amps are minimal, i.e.; a bass amp will work fine for guitar and vice versa.

Offline adangerlg

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 01:57:30 am »
Good to hear.

Anyone have any experience using a bass amp for guitar?  Are there any bass amps that might be better suited for guitar than others?  I've tried finding info on the internet but its scattered and minimal at best.

Thanks again!

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 11:14:05 am »
Good to hear.

Anyone have any experience using a bass amp for guitar?  Are there any bass amps that might be better suited for guitar than others?  I've tried finding info on the internet but its scattered and minimal at best.

Thanks again!

It sounds like you are struggling with this bass amp/guitar amp quandary.
You seem to act like it's a new concept, or that there is something incompatible about bass amps and guitars. An amp is an amp is an amp, as I said with the old Sunn gear of which you speak it's largely semantics.
Actually, the old British amps; Hiwatt, Marshall, Sound City, Orange, etc., made no differentiation between the bass amps and guitar amps, the amps/cabinets were labeled "AP" or "all purpose" designation. Generally, the higher powered amps, Marshall Major, Hiwatt DR201 etc. were used for bass because it takes more grunt to amplify the lower frequency signal, but there is nothing that makes them a "bass" or "guitar" amp.
Look at the "bass" and "guitar" gear on this site, and then compare the schematics;
http://sunn.ampage.org/site/
Other than occasionally reverb, tremolo and some minor tone stack changes, they are pretty much interchangeable.
If you're looking for Sunn bass amp info, try searching this forum for info.
As far as other old tube amps, well... I bet the majority of vintage Fender Bassman amps are actually used for guitar.

Offline djc

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 02:09:52 pm »
the bassman, made for bass was preferred by guitarists like SRV.  I've used my 200s which is 60 watts for guitar as well as bass and it is just raw, clean, power.  enough power to do large clubs and outdoor gigs, maxxed mind you, but that is where it sounds best too!  delicate enough to play in church and not get in too much trouble.  add whatever in front, tube screamer (what I use), reverb, delay, whatever, and a good guitar cab behind it (my bass cab sounds butt ugly for guitar, beautiful for bass), and instant dual purpose amp.  doesn't hurt to try.  I'd say any tube'd Sunn is my preference for guitar or bass, although I have a Traynor YCV40 as well.

Offline adangerlg

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 04:00:10 pm »

You seem to act like it's a new concept, or that there is something incompatible about bass amps and guitars.

Ed -

No, I'm not "struggling" with the concept.  I fully understand that you can plug virtually any guitar into virtually any amp ("guitar", "bass", keyboard, pa, or otherwise) and get sound out of it.  Are they all going to sound the same?  No.  Are they all going to sound good? Definitely not.  I also understand that many musicians have used different Marshall, Fender, Ampeg, Orange, Hiwatt or whatever "bass" amps as "guitar" amps but I'm not concerned with that.  I was asking about Sunn amps.

Since, I'm a guitar player and not an electrical engineer pointing me to some schematics that I can't read isn't going to help me find the answer to my question.  If I knew how to read the schematics I probably wouldn't need anyone's advice in the first place.

So before you reply to anyone else's posts try coming down off of the pedistal you've built for yourself out of vintage Sunn stacks and try using your knowledge to provide some USEFUL information.  :x

DJC -

Thanks for the info on the 200s.  Thats exactly the kind of response I was hoping for.  :-D

Offline Johann

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 07:48:39 pm »
and before you jump down Ed's throat for answering your question two times, you should have searched this forum and gained even a simple understanding of the way Sunn had designated their amplifiers. if you had taken the time to do this instead of expecting people to tell you the answer and then when they do you call them out, you would have known that a majority of the amplifiers were identical save for as Ed already stated, the occasional reverb and tremolo circuit, or slightly altered tone stack, and the main difference between the "bass" and "guitar" amps was their cabinet companion.

Offline adangerlg

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2007, 07:51:27 pm »
FYI -

I did search the forum and found little info that I found helpful.

Perhaps you could direct me to a post or two that you think will answer my question.

Offline rick.heil

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2007, 08:33:42 pm »
Try this one:
http://sunn.ampage.org/sdp/index.php/topic,100.0.html

Also this one:
http://sunn.ampage.org/sdp/index.php/topic,977.0.html

And Ed was providing quite useful information. I would hazard to guess that at least a third of the people on the board know how to read an electrical schematic, even if you just look at a Wikipedia article.  Would all of us understand exactly how it works, and how the components work together to make an awesome amp?  No, not really, and I don't.  But you can compare components and see the similarities.  I agree with Ed, an amp is an amp.  I use my Beta Lead for keyboards (synths), and I like the sound better than every keyboard amp I've demo'd (except for piano sounds, but that's different).  It all comes down to your preference.  I've seen guitar players who use bass amps, guitar amps, and one who used a keyboard amp because he used a fancy modeling floorboard with cab modeling that sounds like junk through a guitar amp.  Sound is such a personal thing... and for the record, you did ask an impossible question in your second post there.  No bass amp is more suited for guitar, simply because what I might like in a bass-turned-guitar amp you might absolutely hate.

Give Ed a chance, he's a great guy, knows a whole helluva lot, and is willing to share it all... even if occasionally impedance calculationally challenged :-p

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2007, 08:55:45 pm »

You seem to act like it's a new concept, or that there is something incompatible about bass amps and guitars.

Ed -

No, I'm not "struggling" with the concept.  I fully understand that you can plug virtually any guitar into virtually any amp ("guitar", "bass", keyboard, pa, or otherwise) and get sound out of it.  Are they all going to sound the same? No.
I still don't think you get it (i.e.; "struggling"). If you are talking about Sunn amps, other that the intrinsic differences between ANY hand wired tube amps, the answer is YES. Other than boost switches (which you can always turn off), and minimal tone knob "center" variances, the majority of the old Sunn bass and guitar amps share identical circuits. The parts; chassis, transformers, filters, tubes, etc. are the same.
Speaker cabs are another thing altogether, but you didn't mention those in your posts.
Are they all going to sound good? Definitely not.
I would say that that is a matter of personal taste, an opinion, certainly NOT a "Definitely not"
I also understand that many musicians have used different Marshall, Fender, Ampeg, Orange, Hiwatt or whatever "bass" amps as "guitar" amps but I'm not concerned with that.
The point I was making is that they were NOT different amps, they were the SAME amps that were used for whatever instrument the musician happened to play.
Since, I'm a guitar player and not an electrical engineer pointing me to some schematics that I can't read isn't going to help me find the answer to my question.  If I knew how to read the schematics I probably wouldn't need anyone's advice in the first place.
I just thought you might notice that they are all THE SAME FREEKING DRAWING!
So before you reply to anyone else's posts try coming down off of the pedistal you've built for yourself out of vintage Sunn stacks and try using your knowledge to provide some USEFUL information. :x
I reply to lots of posts, lots of times just to share information I've gathered from up here on my pedestal with obvious neophytes like yourself. I normally stay away from in depth electrical discussions, keep more to theory rather than express my opinions on specific component values, or "personal taste" circuit mods, because I would rather help to "keep the flame alive" for vintage gear with those just getting into it.
I'd like to think that I've helped out a few people along the way.
I think I DID give you useful information. It was your choice to be obtuse about it, and spew venom rather than pay attention and futher your knowledge about Sunn gear.

Offline ronniewolff

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2007, 03:12:39 pm »
Hi everyone, I'm new to this so will simply say good evening and I hope you're all well.

I don't know much about Sunn gear. I admit that. But I know how much I love meaty, and I mean meaty, guitar sounds. One of the best is the one forged by Laurent, one of the guitarists in the mighty instrumentalists Pelican from the US. He plays through a Sunn 2000s wired to a Mesa cab according to this page: http://www.cosmiclava.de/PELICAN.52.0.html

I mean, it's bigger than Belgium. The guitar sound, not the amp.

Offline stanner

• s t a n o s a u r
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2007, 01:09:38 am »
i dont know pelican at all-but i do have a 2000S that i use fer bass...
whats a good pelican cd that incorporates that guitar sound?
s
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Offline Ryanx

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2007, 02:53:03 am »
i didnt know about him using a 2000S but i know he's used a Model T.  Check out Australasia or City of Echoes for their best work