Author Topic: New to the forum?  (Read 7629 times)

Offline exxcell

New to the forum?
« on: April 13, 2012, 08:42:56 pm »
Im new to the forum and this looks to be like a great community.

But I'll cut to the chase. I need a schematic for a 200s 2x15 cabinet. Ill be willing to pay for it, we can work out a deal.

I would love for the plans this guy had: http://sunnforum.ampage.org/index.php/topic,6736.0.html

Thanks!!

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Re: New to the forum?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 11:38:17 pm »
Those plans are for the larger 2000S cabs, 46" X 30" X 15" vs the 200S cabs 40" X 24" X 15". Jeff bought the plans from Conrad Sundholm, the founder of Sunn who designed the cabs originally.
You can contact him at c.sundholm@comcast.net.

Offline exxcell

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 08:15:47 am »
Those plans are for the larger 2000S cabs, 46" X 30" X 15" vs the 200S cabs 40" X 24" X 15". Jeff bought the plans from Conrad Sundholm, the founder of Sunn who designed the cabs originally.
You can contact him at c.sundholm@comcast.net.

Thanks! Ill shoot him an email and see whats up.

Offline sturoc

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 09:04:55 am »
Between here and the TalkBass site there was a thread where the guy built a 200s i believe. you may have to search around for it .
Sunn 215BH x 2, Acoustic 150B

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 10:21:53 am »
There have been a few 200S clone builds and "sorta" clone builds documented here over the years. Here's a recent one;

http://sunnforum.ampage.org/index.php/topic,5669.0.html

The only talkbass Sunn cab build thread I remember was a 1200S cab being converted to a 2000S  cab, but that certainly doesn't mean there hasn't been one.

Offline exxcell

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 11:09:40 am »
There have been a few 200S clone builds and "sorta" clone builds documented here over the years. Here's a recent one;

http://sunnforum.ampage.org/index.php/topic,5669.0.html

The only talkbass Sunn cab build thread I remember was a 1200S cab being converted to a 2000S  cab, but that certainly doesn't mean there hasn't been one.
Thanks Ed. Looking for more of a 2000s. The bigger the better in this case.

Do you know of anyone who re-cones for cheap?(and still does a great job?)

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 12:23:34 pm »
There have been several 2000S builds documented here, search for "2000S build".
Just a FYI though, a 2000S is a BIG freekin' cab. In person it seems a lot larger than the 200S cab; more so than the dimensions would indicate;

If you mean recones for the D, K, and E series JBL's, "cheap" and "recone" don't go together. The factory kits for the D and K are long gone, and while there may still be some factory E kits available they cost in the hundreds of dollars; the good news is that all of the drivers can take the E kits.
There are aftermarket kits available, but the ones I've tried don't sound the same as the factory cones. There may be some, but I haven't run across them.

All that said, there are some excellent reconers out there who can certainly do a great job. Orange County Speaker does excellent work, but like "cheap recone" and "JBL"don't go together, "shipping" and "raw drivers" don't always go together either.
Where are you located?

Offline exxcell

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 01:40:58 pm »
I understand the kits are super expensive but the guys around here charge $179 per speaker. Just for labor.

I'll just save my D140s and I'll see if I can fudge a little bit for some Eminence CA15-4's. Probably replace the dust caps with JBLs too.
I'm going more for good looking aesthetics then exceptional sound.

I'm located in Oklahoma.

Offline sturoc

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 05:34:27 pm »
to confirm what Edbass said: Old timer Ken Willard at Peakspeaker.com in C springs, CO told me the same thing when i inquired bout an  Sunn cab with old JBL E's in it.
Sunn 215BH x 2, Acoustic 150B

Offline Soundmasterg

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 12:26:48 am »
You may also check into recones at Weber. JBL's were Ted's favorite speakers and everyone seems to give glowing reviews for their JBL recones. A bit closer to you than Orange County is too.

Conrad should be able to get you plans for the 2000S cabinet. If he needs any measurements, I have one he can measure and I am local to him and a friend. I would think he should have them however.

Greg

Offline exxcell

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 01:31:36 pm »
You may also check into recones at Weber. JBL's were Ted's favorite speakers and everyone seems to give glowing reviews for their JBL recones. A bit closer to you than Orange County is too.

Conrad should be able to get you plans for the 2000S cabinet. If he needs any measurements, I have one he can measure and I am local to him and a friend. I would think he should have them however.

Greg

I emailed him(Conrad) on the 14th. Ill wait till the 18th and then Ill explore other options.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 08:13:49 pm »

Greg

I emailed him(Conrad) on the 14th. Ill wait till the 18th and then Ill explore other options.

That's unusual, he generally contacts me the same day or the next. Maybe he's out of town or busy. Are you in a big hurry? Mr. Sundholm is pretty handy to have as a consultant when it comes to building a Sunn cab; unlike all of those self proclaimed internet speaker experts, he's actually accomplished something.

Offline exxcell

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 10:05:34 pm »
I'm not in a hurry, just impatient I guess.. :/

I usually give an email/call/text about 4-5 days then give up hope of hearing back.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 07:55:39 am »
Well, in my limited experience with him it's my opinion that Conrad is decidedly non flaky, and to me he seems to go out of his way to accommodate even mundane questions; not that I think your inquiry is even slightly "mundane".
There could be  myriad possible reasons for the miscommunication, but I think it's safe to say simply "blowing you off" isn't one of them.

Anyway, off the top of my head I know that both members D.M.N. and Jeff Troy have built 2000S cabs from scratch using Conrad’s plans, as you reference with the link in your initial post in this thread Jeff’s is meticulously documented.
This is a very helpful and knowledgeable forum for the most part, and I’m certain both of those gentlemen would give you excellent advice and guidance to help coattail on their success in building a 2000S cab of your own, just PM them or post on one of their threads and I’ll bet you get the straight scoop.