Author Topic: Silverface Concert Lead Circuit Breaker Tripping!  (Read 1871 times)

Offline georgec64

Silverface Concert Lead Circuit Breaker Tripping!
« on: February 20, 2017, 07:13:35 pm »
Greetings friends,

I've been having a problem with my Silverface Concert Lead. Played the amp at a moderate volume and it turned off—no red light or anything. Opened it up and noticed a faulty circuit breaker. It looked like on the top of the red button of the circuit breaker was the number 11, which I assumed meant an 11 amp circuit breaker.

I bought one online and put it in. Now, the amp powers on for a few seconds then trips the breaker. Perhaps my amp is drawing too much power?? Except the weird thing is that I have looked at friend's silver faces and the number on the circuit breaker has been different on each one! Mine says 11, though I've seen amps with 12 and 13 amp circuit breakers.

Will probably take this amp in, unless anyone has experienced a similar problem and has succeeded in fixing it? Amp technicians tend to steer away from concert leads, so if there's any way i can fix this that's be very kool. Thanks

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
Re: Silverface Concert Lead Circuit Breaker Tripping!
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 09:18:42 am »
My first thought was, what makes you think that the circuit breaker is faulty? Sounds to me as though it's doing exactly what it's supposed to do.

My next thought was, no way that's an 11 amp breaker. Putting in too large a breaker will allow the amp to draw too much current, potentially burning things up. From what I can find online, 4.5 amps looks right.

It sounds to me as though this problem is beyond your ability. Something in the amp is drawing too much current and popping your circuit breaker. No way to know for sure what that is without a closer look. If you're lucky, it's just a power supply cap, and is easily replaceable. Could be any number of other things, though.
Isaac

Offline Ryan Phelps

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 07:10:13 pm »
I agree with Issac. Your amp is drawing too much current and the circuit breaker is doing what it's supposed to do.....shut the amp down. There is no way the breaker is 11 amps. You need to take your amp to a knowledgeable tech to have it properly repaired. Installing an over-sized breaker increases the chance that you may be creating more damage. The warning notice "no user-serviceable parts" is not a joke!

Offline georgec64

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 01:15:23 pm »
Thanks for all the advice. I did end up taking to an amp tech and it turned out to be the diode rectifier bridge. he replaced it and all is well! Going to take out that 11amp circuit breaker out and put in a fuse holder with 4.5a fuses instead.