Author Topic: 70's padded cabinet handle hardware  (Read 2251 times)

Offline PDXDOOM

70's padded cabinet handle hardware
« on: January 31, 2017, 06:35:53 pm »
Hey everyone!

This is my first post and am hoping someone with more knowledge than myself can help me out! I recently acquired a 610s cab and am in the process of cleaning it up and trying to make sure all the parts are as oem as possible. The cab was missing it's handle so I'm on the lookout for a proper replacement. There's one on eBay that looks close that I might buy. My question is how were the original handles attached? I don't see an evidence of t-nuts being used on the inside so are they just attached using screws? Thanks!

Offline PDXDOOM

Re: 70's padded cabinet handle hardware
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 08:00:58 pm »
Anyone? I assume you're all on this forum because you have Sunn gear so someone has to know how the handles are attached.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 05:16:11 am »
My cab handles are attached with acorn nuts I believe, I know the head box handles are. What are the holes like on your cab? Should be pretty obvious if the handle was on with screws, or as you mentioned T nuts.

Offline Ryan Phelps

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 09:31:10 pm »
I have never seen acorn nuts used on Sunn amp handles. Perhaps keps nuts or or more likely t-nuts. More importantly, for originality, you want to find a handle that is cosmetically similar to the original. Early Sunn amp handles were similar to Marshall handles....plastic strap handles with snap-on caps. Later handles were sewn vinyl with snap-on caps. The handles available on eBay are likely the closest to the originals you will find. If you find a better replacement, let us know!

Offline PDXDOOM

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 11:02:49 pm »
So I took a look inside the cab and I see zero evidence of either t-nuts or bolts being used with bolts, or even a washer and a bolt. It seriously looks like the handles were screwed on from the way the roof is pushed out on the inside.  My only reservation with just using screws is I find it hard to believe you'd  be able to move this thing more than a few times with only 1 handle before they ripped off (which maybe is why it's missing in the first place?).

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 09:30:39 am »
Wow, That doesn't look good at all. My gear is almost all Sundholm era stuff, maybe Hartzell went with wood screws as a cost saving maneuver or something.  I agree with you about the lack of durability, if it were me I would say damn the originality and use t nuts.

I called the head cab nut as an acorn, but I did it by "braille" because I was sitting next to a 200S in my office. On further investigation it's this;

It felt like a pointy acorn nut to my callused bass pluckin' fingers...  :wink:

Offline PDXDOOM

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2017, 12:03:49 pm »
 :-D haha, nice! I believe this cab is an early 70's model from what I can find so it is weird they would use only screws but judging from your photo I'm going to use some bolts, washers and some nylon locking nuts and should be in good shape so I don't damage the wood. Thanks for the info man, much appreciated!