Author Topic: Here's Another Sale Alert!! 1000S with 2 X 15 Cab  (Read 3743 times)

Offline pickinatit

Here's Another Sale Alert!! 1000S with 2 X 15 Cab
« on: April 16, 2010, 10:53:34 am »
This is right down the road from me. Maybe 15 minutes away!! 

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/msg/1694075175.html

I'm not really interested in the head,  but I sure would like to get my hands on the cab!!  Wouldn't this cab be the same as a 2000S  cab (28" wide) ?  I'm tempted to do this just to get the cab and then see what I could get for just the head to ease the expense.

I don't really have the money right now though...and I've been waiting for one to come along.  $ 1200 ?? My wife would kill me. :cry:

Offline gavin

Re: Here's Another Sale Alert!! 1000S with 2 X 15 Cab
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 10:31:51 pm »
Hi Pikinatit;

The head looks like it has the newer style grille (later than '68)...but the cab looks like a '68.  Torture to be 15 min away from that!!!  You can do it!!! Look at those gerbils in there...they look like K series (140s if you're lucky...look for the ribbed (reinforced cones) no matter what the drivers say. 
  ALSO (tHIS IS REALLY FRICKIN' IMPORTANT)...TAKE A NEW 9 VOLT DURACELL AND AN IN-PHASE SPEAKER CABLE.  Touch the battery to the connected speaker cable positive to the tip (+)  and the sleeve to the big terminal.  The JBLs will jump...if they jump IN, they have JBL factory cones or recone kits, if they jump OUT they have been reconed with aftermarket kits and are likely crap cones. Maybe the cabinet (the cool part) can be negotiated and the JBLs redone someday for about $ 250 each. 
  IF THE GRILLE ON THE CAB DOES NOT MATCH THE HEAD... GET HIM TO SELL THE CAB SEPARATLY.  The head is worth a grand or better by itself.  The cab is priceless w the old 68 grille in that shape.
Good Luck man.

gavin

PS: NEVER DO THE BATTERY TEST TO HORN DRIVERS

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 08:35:04 am »
This is right down the road from me. Maybe 15 minutes away!! 

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/msg/1694075175.html

I'm not really interested in the head,  but I sure would like to get my hands on the cab!!  Wouldn't this cab be the same as a 2000S  cab (28" wide) ?  I'm tempted to do this just to get the cab and then see what I could get for just the head to ease the expense.

I don't really have the money right now though...and I've been waiting for one to come along.  $ 1200 ?? My wife would kill me. :cry:

Yes, that is the same as a 2000S cab (it's 30" wide though, not 28").
In my monitor it looks like an original matched head and cab. It looks like both the head and cab have post '68 grill cloth, I think they are probably both actually '69's, maybe very late '69 even; I don't see rectifier tubes in the picture, but it's hard to tell.
Those are D series speakers IMO, the "D15S" is simply a relabeled D130(F?)'s, pretty desireable drivers overall, but with somewhat limited overall appeal among guitarists compared to 10's or 12's.

I don't speculate about value unless I would actually "put my own money where my mouth is", but... in all honesty if that rig were as close to me as it is to you, you wouldn't have to worry about the wife; I would have already bought it!  :wink:
To me personally the highest long term value is would be keeping the matched set together. Considering they all came as matched sets, it's extremely rare to find a vintage Sunn head and cab still together 40 yrs later.
I think it would make a killer bass rig with some 140's in the cab.

Offline gavin

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 07:30:14 am »
Hi Again;

He's correct...the speakers are D series...they look black (like Ks) on my monitor), but the logo plates on Ks are completely different...sorry for the BS, I should know better.  The phase/battery test for jump in or out is NOT BS...whata beautiful amp!!!  You've got it now, right???

gavin

Offline pickinatit

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 09:39:07 am »
I'm in a sweat about it, honestly!!  I really,  really can't afford this right now....yet...believe me,  a big part of me is screaming at the top of it's lungs that " You can't afford  NOT to buy this rig".  LOL/CRTears.