Author Topic: Something to drool over...  (Read 3807 times)

Offline mckinnon audio

Re: Something to drool over...
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 07:21:40 am »
  Wow,I've got a pair,(unmatched as far as I know) of Marconi KT 88's,in the Light and dark blue boxes,MWT,Marconi Wireless Telegraph,made in Chelmsford England.I'm thinking of selling them,any offers ?

Offline sunn-tanned

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 10:00:02 am »
 I would probably be interested however not at a price even close to this auction..... :-o

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 12:40:51 pm »
If those tubes are truly "NOS", as in never used, that's dirt cheap at a grand. I've seen used GEC KT88's, not even close to as strong as these claim to test for sale at $350 each (https://www.tubeworld.com/kt88.htm), and a matched quad!!?!?
That's the Holy Grail; I honestly though there were no more matched quads anywhere, period. The seller seems very legit also, based on feedback.
I'm going to guess $1500-$1600 before it's over. At least I hope so, because then I won’t kick myself for not bidding.

Why did you post this? I really wish I hadn't seen it, I can't stop thinking about how they would look where they belong... in one of my 2000S's.  :cry:

At least I only have to ignore it for 7 more hours.

Here's a story that will really make you cry;
In the early 70's, it is said the Mel Schacher from Grand Funk Railroad ran his West Fillmore so freekin' strong that his output tubes would red plate regularly, and...
He had a roadie wearing an oven mitt stationed behind his rig with a case of brand new, factory fresh GEC KT88's, pulling and replacing them as they flamed out during gigs.

Great story; I don’t know if it’s actually true, but a great story none the less!  :wink:

Offline Addam

• Opus Noir
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 11:55:55 am »
Said that Sunn is from England... am I reading that correctly or am I missing a bit of history?

Offline sunn-tanned

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 11:40:31 am »

$999   :|

If those tubes are truly "NOS", as in never used, that's dirt cheap at a grand. I've seen used GEC KT88's, not even close to as strong as these claim to test for sale at $350 each (https://www.tubeworld.com/kt88.htm), and a matched quad!!?!?
That's the Holy Grail; I honestly though there were no more matched quads anywhere, period. The seller seems very legit also, based on feedback.
I'm going to guess $1500-$1600 before it's over. At least I hope so, because then I won’t kick myself for not bidding.

Why did you post this? I really wish I hadn't seen it, I can't stop thinking about how they would look where they belong... in one of my 2000S's.  :cry:

At least I only have to ignore it for 7 more hours.

Here's a story that will really make you cry;
In the early 70's, it is said the Mel Schacher from Grand Funk Railroad ran his West Fillmore so freekin' strong that his output tubes would red plate regularly, and...
He had a roadie wearing an oven mitt stationed behind his rig with a case of brand new, factory fresh GEC KT88's, pulling and replacing them as they flamed out during gigs.

Great story; I don’t know if it’s actually true, but a great story none the less!  :wink: