Author Topic: Question regarding Sunn 3x12 cabs specs  (Read 5065 times)

Offline dc10bass

Question regarding Sunn 3x12 cabs specs
« on: April 12, 2008, 02:53:23 pm »
Group…

I had contacted a local shop here in Metro Detroit to build me two replica Sunn 3x12 cabs…
I’ve already got the speakers I’m going to use; mid 1980’s manufactured Celestion G12T-75’s, build in England.
They were in a Marshall cabinet.

When I gave the builder the dimensions for the cabinet he informed me that to properly port these cabs I will need the Thiele-small parameters.

Anyone know where I can find that information?

I was told www.thiele-small.com, but I'm not seeing the info that I need… it’s possible I’m overlooking something at the website,
but I honestly have no experience with the details of these parameters.

Anyone’s help is greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance!

Curt

Offline mckinnon audio

Re: Question regarding Sunn 3x12 cabs specs
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 06:03:47 pm »
  Hi there,if you're building replica's,then you don't need the Thiele info.If you want to change the size of the cab or port to match these particular spkrs.,then you do need the info,good luck Mel.

Offline dc10bass

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 08:27:55 am »
  Hi there,if you're building replica's,then you don't need the Thiele info.If you want to change the size of the cab or port to match these particular spkrs.,then you do need the info,good luck Mel.

Thanks for the comment Mel...

However, the following is the only info I have regarding the specs for a Sunn 312 cab.

It's the same size as a 200S cab.
42.5 high, 24 wide, 15 deep.
1974 catalog says it weighs 105 lbs.

I gave the cab builder these specs.
I have a few pictures that show the speakers are set back into the cab, not like a Sunn 412 where the speakers are closer to the grill cloth.
I don't know if this is what is driving the builder to have me locate the Thiele info or not.

Thanks!
Curt

Offline mckinnon audio

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 09:10:38 am »
  Hi there,what you really need are the blueprints for the cab.,or the exact dimensions of all the pieces,a broken up cab.would be ideal,good luck Mel.

Offline dc10bass

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 11:25:14 am »
  Hi there,what you really need are the blueprints for the cab.,or the exact dimensions of all the pieces,a broken up cab.would be ideal,good luck Mel.

Yes... I agree!
Now where do I get that?!

Anyone...?

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 12:08:00 pm »
The cab dimensions listed in the brochures generally list the height with casters. A 200S box is 40" high. You should be able to get TS parameters from Celestion, but I don't think the Sunn 312S was a ported cabinet which means the TS parameters would be unnecessary.

Here's some quotes from Sunn about the 312S;

"Sunn has taken the bright response of the 12" guitar transducer and added a projector enclosure. The 312S moves the speakers to the rear of the cabinet and puts a front loaded horn up front. It's the same principle that a trumpet is built on"
"The 312S enclosure rolls off the lower bass register and puts all the bass power out front in clear, ear popping sound"

Sounds like early 70's hyperbole for a sealed mid range heavy cabinet to me.

I would think that your cabinet maker could get the setback and angles on the baffle from your picture based on a OD of 40 X 24 on the front of the cabinet.

Hope this is some help.

Offline dc10bass

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 02:32:18 pm »
The cab dimensions listed in the brochures generally list the height with casters. A 200S box is 40" high. You should be able to get TS parameters from Celestion, but I don't think the Sunn 312S was a ported cabinet which means the TS parameters would be unnecessary.

Here's some quotes from Sunn about the 312S;

"Sunn has taken the bright response of the 12" guitar transducer and added a projector enclosure. The 312S moves the speakers to the rear of the cabinet and puts a front loaded horn up front. It's the same principle that a trumpet is built on"
"The 312S enclosure rolls off the lower bass register and puts all the bass power out front in clear, ear popping sound"

Sounds like early 70's hyperbole for a sealed mid range heavy cabinet to me.

I would think that your cabinet maker could get the setback and angles on the baffle from your picture based on a OD of 40 X 24 on the front of the cabinet.

Hope this is some help.

THANK YOU!!!
...very helpful and informative!

Offline basiklybass

• My Sunn's
    • The Old Days
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 07:43:50 am »
I don't think there is a need for T/H specs in this case DC. After all, the proof is in the listening and when building sound production cabinets as opposed to sound reproduction cabinets, there are so many other variables that most of the TH specs don't mean as much. Knowing if a speaker is good in a folder horn, or sealed or open back cabinet is helpful...but remember, Jim Marshall and Conrad Sunholm had no idea about this data and built some of the best sounding cabinets ever. Now if you are building speakers for your living room to listen to recordings...T/H is very useful.