Author Topic: Got me a new(to me) Sunn cab. 2000S???  (Read 2948 times)

Offline omarvolta

Got me a new(to me) Sunn cab. 2000S???
« on: July 02, 2013, 10:23:01 pm »
Pictures below. The cab is a 2x15 folded horn cab. I believe it to be a 2000s cab due to the dimensions of it. H 48"(46" without casters) W 30" D 15". It has a couple of JBL D15S speakers that were redone a decade ago. Originally 16ohm but now 8ohm(what my crappy DMM leads me to believe). It had a couple of small tweeters installed which I removed right away. It was used with a home/stereo system. The 1/4" jack was removed and had RCA jacks instead(also removed). The front grill was painted with metallic silver spray paint. Anyways, I was trying to date the speakers but there are no codes, only serial numbers. One thing different from from all the other Sunn cabs I've seen are the corners. They are not the usual round chrome corners but smaller, of a different design and black. The usual chrome on the handles are also black. I'm hoping this differences may help in dating the cab like an early/late unit?

Cheers!
Ilyich.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
Re: Got me a new(to me) Sunn cab. 2000S???
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 02:59:58 pm »
I'm thinking 1500S or post-1969 1000S cabinet.
Isaac

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 03:29:08 pm »
The cabinet is the same as the 2000S but the D15S speakers were used for guitar. Since they have been re-coned, the cone and voice coil could have been changed. You can usually see if the cones have ribs like in the photo below if you press your face against the grill cloth and shine a flashlight on the cone. The cones with ribs are for bass, the smooth cones are for guitar.

Offline omarvolta

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 06:47:44 pm »
Thanks for the replies guys. The newer cones on the speakers are ribbed with cloth surrounds. The cab was used for home stereo use so I think they were re-coned for that purpose. In the mean while I cleaned the tolex and I put a couple of Peavey Black Widows(8ohms each) out of a '70s peavey cab as my head only has 4ohm outputs. I'll try removing the spray paint from the grill cloth tomorrow. I tried on a corner with goof-off and it worked OK, no damage to the grill cloth. The JBLs are 16ohm each though I get DC resistance of 8ohms when I measure them so the new voice coils may be 8ohm but I'm not sure yet so... I placed the JBLs on the Peavey cab and will test them in there with a borrowed amp probably this weekend. Also, the corners and handles are replacements. Luckily they are both available on ebay. I'll probably get the corners first and leave the handles as they are for now. Oh, and by the way the grill comes off. It is not attached directly to the baffles.

Cheers,
Ilyich.

Offline Soundmasterg

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 02:35:13 am »
That would be great if you can clean the grille cloth without damage as that is the early grille cloth that is not available. I have an early 2000S cabinet here that looks very similar.

Greg

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2013, 10:53:23 am »
That would be great if you can clean the grille cloth without damage as that is the early grille cloth that is not available. I have an early 2000S cabinet here that looks very similar.

Greg

Looks like the later Fenderesque grill cloth to me. I think you can see the long and short woven pattern in the picture of the aftermarket corner protector.
If so, and the paint removal doesn't go well, omarvolta can get some SF 7005 and replace it accurately.

Offline Soundmasterg

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 08:17:00 pm »

Greg

Looks like the later Fenderesque grill cloth to me. I think you can see the long and short woven pattern in the picture of the aftermarket corner protector.
If so, and the paint removal doesn't go well, omarvolta can get some SF 7005 and replace it accurately.

Now that I look closer, I think you're right...it is the later stuff. Well I see lousy so that explains it!...haha

Greg

Offline omarvolta

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 12:26:59 pm »
I cleaned up the grill about a week ago or so. I forgot to post it here(but I did post it on talkbass). It came out great! Not perfect, but great.

Top left corner you can see the original shiny threads from the grill that hide behind the logo plate.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 08:40:48 pm by omarvolta »

Offline ROCKETBRO2

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 04:27:48 pm »
It looks pretty good and could make it another 40 years, for sure.
73 CONCERT BASS,215 ORION