Author Topic: 1-18v speaker going bad  (Read 1755 times)

Offline lo-fi

1-18v speaker going bad
« on: August 18, 2003, 02:39:29 pm »
Help! my 1-18v speaker cone is going bad. It is tearing around the outer flexable ring (whatever that's called) I need to know what to do about this. Does it need re-coned & if so where can that be done? Help!
Any help is greatly appreciated. :D

Thanks,
Chris

Anonymous

1-18v speaker going bad
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2003, 04:36:47 pm »
hi chris,

i've used these guys before and recommend them for their quality repairs. they can re-cone, recharge weak magnets, wind new voice coils, whatever it takes. they also have surround and spider options if you want to hot rod your speaker.

http://www.speakerrepair.com/

best regards, richard

Offline lo-fi

1-18v speaker going bad
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2003, 09:40:36 pm »
Thanks Richard,

I emailed them so hopefully they can help me out.

:D Cheers,
Chris

Anonymous

1-18v speaker going bad
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2003, 06:29:44 pm »
Hello:
 It is possible to replace just the surround. Well sort of, They will have to pull the dustcap too so they can center the voice coil.
Don T.

Anonymous

1-18v speaker going bad
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2003, 10:00:22 pm »
lo-fi  (chris),

orange county speakers can hook you up with a great butyl rubber surround that will last a long time and that is nearly indestructible. i had some vintage sonab hi-fi speakers that originally had foam surrounds that had disintegrated due to age. they replaced them with the butyl surrounds and it didn't seem to change the sound of the speakers but they'll last a lifetime now.

best regards, tube (richard)

Anonymous

1-18v speaker going bad
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2003, 03:17:55 pm »
Well I found out that there's a local guy that can fix it but I can't seem to track him down as of yet. This speaker has an 'accordian' style surround. Would it be able to be replaced by a new rubber one too?

Anonymous

1-18v speaker going bad
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2003, 05:00:51 pm »
Don't bring it anywhere yet, contact me at vikkinbill@aol.com, and I will talk you thru it...