Author Topic: Arrghh. Considering selling my Model T + 200S cab. What are they worth?  (Read 4334 times)

Offline Rex B

OK, I hate to see this day come. I am considering selling my Model T and 200s Cabinet.

Model T. Retubed and biased with KT88s from Bob Pletka at Eurotube Feb 2011, and completely checked out by Bill Brooks at Eclispe Electronic Service, Portland, OR. I got this amp in about 1982 when I worked in Engineering at Sunn Tualatin. It is in perfect working order. It was one of the amps we used in Engineering/QA. It has the large red knobs, and the impedance selector knob is non-stock....some sample knob from a box somewhere. S/N 52062. If someone knows how to date this serial number, that would be great. I have only used it a few times even though I have had it for close to 30 years. Kind of brought it out for those "special" occasions.  Tolex is in good shape, but not pristine, has 2 cigarette burns in the top, and two handle caps are missing.

I bought the 200S cabinet in 1973. I believe it was made about 1968, but not sure. It is all original, with 2 JBL D140F's, in perfect working order. Only minor scrapes and dings in Tolex, no rips/tears, and a few minor snags in grill cloth.  

Can anyone give me an estimate of the going prices for these? Would prefer to sell together...because I feel they BELONG together, but will sell separately.

Thanks SunnHeads.....picture attached.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 06:08:29 pm by Rex B »
Engineer Sunn 1977-1983, Fender 1984-1990
Model T Red Knob
200S Cabinet JBL D140Fs
Sunn SB 300 (Proto Coliseum 300)

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
They are worth whatever someone will pay and you will accept.
If they are for sale, and they certainly seem to be according to your post, you should put a price on them. If you are trying to solicit offers on it, you should try an auction site that is designed to do that rather than a forum.
It should also be in "Classifieds", but I can move it for you.

Offline Rex B

Thanks Ed. Makes sense. When I can determine an approximate fair value for them, I'll re-post in classifieds.
You are welcome to move this posting. Thanks for your help. Is there anywhere we can look up serial number dates?
Model T Red Knob
200S Cabinet JBL D140Fs

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
This looks like good hard number for comparison;

Still lookin' for a T, will pay $1200 plus shipping still.

Also selling my Sunn Studio Lead for $300. 100% original, minty condition, original leather cover and a homemade HRobert series box to connect it to a 4 ohm cab included.

Check eBay completed auctions, that's always a good barometer of what people actually paid for things. I am no expert on Model T's, but AFAIK there is no dating info available from Sunn serials.
IMO that D140 loaded 200S cab is absolutely one of the sweetest sounding bass cabs ever made. Regretfully they don't take a whole bunch of power by modern standards, the port ducting limits the ceramic magnet speaker replacement possibilities, and the difficulty with shipping the old beasts seem to keep the value way under what (in my mind anyway) they should bring on the open market.
If I had a way to get it to me, I'd be PM'ing you right now with a solid offer...

EDIT: Here's a couple of sold Model T's I just found;

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sunn-Model-T-1stGen-Tube-Amplifier-Guitar-Bass-Head-Amp-/260756139372?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb646ed6c

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sunn-Model-T-Guitar-Amplifier-Head-Fender-/220754040547?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3365f756e3
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 10:46:48 pm by EdBass »

Offline stanner

• s t a n o s a u r
please help-how does one find 'completed auctions', never seen it on any of the pages.
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Offline rot gut

please help-how does one find 'completed auctions', never seen it on any of the pages.
click advanced next to the search bar on ebay and you'll see a section saying "search including"

Offline Rex B

Thanks Ed and Rotgut, appreciate the info. I am a bit new here, still figuring out how to navigate and post in the right place. Been out of the scene for quite a few years: I have no working knowledge of prices for stuff. I was able to find some comparisons for the Model T (seems $800 to $1400 or more depending on year, shape etc) , but not much out there on the 200S. I did find one mention of $500, which seems low for what it is. Heck, in the ebay completed listings, D140F's go for $135 to $199 ea plus shipping, so it's close to "Buy 2 D140F's, get a free 1968 Sunn 200S carrying case". Thanks again guys. 
Model T Red Knob
200S Cabinet JBL D140Fs

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
I don't see any sold D140's on eBay right now for comparison, and that's the number that matters. The "carrying case" is the problem, I think. Loose D140's can be packaged for shipping much more efficiently than in a 40 x 24 x 15 heavy, plywood box.  :wink:
Shipping a 200S cab is a bear; an expensive bear. It can seriously limit the geographic market that it's fiscally practical to ship to, and since it's a specialized item with a somewhat limited appeal anyway, the end result seems to be is that this combination conspires to keep the overall prices on 200S cabs repressed. Unless you can find a local buyer you may well get more money for the D140's individually than you can get for the pair in the 200S cab, particularly if they are 8 ohm D140's.

In all honesty, the most I've ever paid for a nice D140 loaded 200S cab is $300, albeit it was a 3 hr drive each way to pick it up. The last 200S cab I bought was $100, with an old school chipboard road case but without the D140's. Not necessarily relevent to the current market of course; the $300 one was in 2005 and the $100 one was in August 2009.
Of course a D140 200S cab paired with its 200S head is another thing altogether; It's been some years but I've seen them bring north of $2K as a matched set which is probably about 2 times what they traditionally bring if sold separately.

Offline lexluthor

"EDIT: Here's a couple of sold Model T's I just found;

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sunn-Model-T-1stGen-Tube-Amplifier-Guitar-Bass-Head-Amp-/260756139372?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb646ed6c

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sunn-Model-T-Guitar-Amplifier-Head-Fender-/220754040547?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3365f756e3"

I won that second ebay auction!
I know it's a reissue, but from my experience scouring the interwebs for these, model t's (both original and fender reissues) typically fetch between $1000-1700. I was honestly surprised I managed to win that auction for the price I did.
Good luck with the sale!

Offline CLD

• Sunn Sorado
To Ed's point earlier, here is a current Ebay listing for a 200S amp and cab. Be interesting to see how he does.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120701756524

BTW, since I was able to buy an matching 200S amp and cab from the original owner, who bought them in 1970, for only $400 and then had to put another $400 into it (mostly for the amp, which wasn't working), I'm always pleased to see prices above $1,000 the "complete" 200S setup.  That said, when I bought my second 200S cab, I paid $150 for it. One speaker was not working but $80 later it was.  :-D
Sunn since June 1971!
1971 Sorado, 2000S, Coliseum Bass, Coliseum Lead
1970 200S; 1974 Coliseum 880