Author Topic: Sunn rigs of doom  (Read 158468 times)

Offline grimniggzy

Re: Sunn rigs of doom
« Reply #196 on: September 29, 2010, 11:32:02 am »
-orig posted by snarzdar -"Awesome! I quit using my overdrive pedals recently. The Beta Bass sounds too good! I run the drive on my A channel at around 1 o'clock now. I was keepoing the drive dialed back and using 2 different overdrive pedals. Now I plug my bass into a tuner, and the tuner into the amp. The end."

Yeah, just got some time with the Beta Bass finally and man you weren't kidding, turning the drive up turns this thing into a monster. It takes pedals great too obviously but since it's not really meant to be fun flat it doesn't sound so great with my VT Bass pedal. Thats okay though as the VT sound stellar running into the "Power Amp In" jack on the back of my Concert Bass.

I think I'm gonna simplifiy my approach by about 1,000 and just buy a few pedals and maybe a looper instead of the amp switchers.

Bass--->Korg Pitchblack Tuner-->Fulltone OCD v.1.3-->Fullton Plimsoul-->Aguilar Tonehammer--->Both Input on the Beta Bass.
Sunn Coliseum Bass--->Sunn 215B
Sunn Beta Bass--->Ampeg 410HLF
Sunn Beta Lead--->Marshall 4X12
2 Sunn Concert Basses
3 Fender P's, 1 Fretless J, 2 Statss, AmpegPlexiBass
OC-2 + QTrons + RATs + VTBass

Offline D.M.N.

« Reply #197 on: October 01, 2010, 08:40:49 am »
I posted the incomplete cab a while ago, but this is the best picture of it in action:
It'll get tolex and proper grill cloth soon enough.

DIY 2000s 2x15

House of the Rising Sunn........
-----------------------------------
1969 2000s
1972 2000s
1970 1200s
1968 1000s
1969 200s
2010 2000s DIY 2x15
1971 2000s 2x15
1969 2000s 2x15
1972 2000s 2x15
1968 1000s 2x15
1970 1200s 6x12

Offline snarzdar

• If it's too slow, you're too young.
    • lowered expectations
« Reply #198 on: October 03, 2010, 03:13:00 am »
-orig posted by snarzdar -"Awesome! I quit using my overdrive pedals recently. The Beta Bass sounds too good! I run the drive on my A channel at around 1 o'clock now. I was keepoing the drive dialed back and using 2 different overdrive pedals. Now I plug my bass into a tuner, and the tuner into the amp. The end."

Yeah, just got some time with the Beta Bass finally and man you weren't kidding, turning the drive up turns this thing into a monster. It takes pedals great too obviously but since it's not really meant to be fun flat it doesn't sound so great with my VT Bass pedal. Thats okay though as the VT sound stellar running into the "Power Amp In" jack on the back of my Concert Bass.

I think I'm gonna simplifiy my approach by about 1,000 and just buy a few pedals and maybe a looper instead of the amp switchers.

Bass--->Korg Pitchblack Tuner-->Fulltone OCD v.1.3-->Fullton Plimsoul-->Aguilar Tonehammer--->Both Input on the Beta Bass.

Dude! Doesn't the Beta Bass just knock the Concert Bass' dong in the dirt? Such an underrated amplifier.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 12:23:20 am by snarzdar »

Offline grimniggzy

« Reply #199 on: October 04, 2010, 12:57:43 pm »

Dude! Doesn't the Beta Bass just knock the Concert Bass' dong in the dirt? Such an underrated amplifier.

Oh, it def blows it out of the water. The ratings are completely bogus in comparison to eachother. I don't think I'll be pulling out the Concert Bass unless I'm playing in a really seedy bar or something, haha or until I run a dual rig setup.
Sunn Coliseum Bass--->Sunn 215B
Sunn Beta Bass--->Ampeg 410HLF
Sunn Beta Lead--->Marshall 4X12
2 Sunn Concert Basses
3 Fender P's, 1 Fretless J, 2 Statss, AmpegPlexiBass
OC-2 + QTrons + RATs + VTBass

Offline Walt-Dogg

« Reply #200 on: October 04, 2010, 02:46:41 pm »
With all this talk about the Beta Bass, might just trade in my Concert Bass for one...
Gibson Les Paul Special
Electra X260
Squier Precision Bass MIJ
Science Hellhawk 100w
Ampeg VT-22/V-4
Science Mother
Mojotone Bluesbreaker 2x12
Mojotone British 4x12
Ampeg SVT 810

Offline mike_sims

« Reply #201 on: October 07, 2010, 01:38:07 am »
some recent shots. Not the best quality.

MAXIMUM VOLUME YIELDS MAXIMUM GOATS

1974 Sunn Model T
1975 Sunn Model T
2 Sunn 412L cabs

Offline biltmore

• The Sound Choice
« Reply #202 on: October 07, 2010, 02:50:11 am »
Breathtaking!!!

:0

Offline chev

• feel the tone!
« Reply #203 on: October 07, 2010, 06:03:43 am »
Cool setup! :-o
Sunn Model T 1st gen+Sunn 215s+Sunn 412s, Sunn Beta Bass+Sunn 215+Sunn Coliseum Slave+2 x Sunn 115

Offline Walt-Dogg

« Reply #204 on: October 07, 2010, 11:58:58 am »
Hey, hey! One of those was once mine! Looks good with your Ts
Gibson Les Paul Special
Electra X260
Squier Precision Bass MIJ
Science Hellhawk 100w
Ampeg VT-22/V-4
Science Mother
Mojotone Bluesbreaker 2x12
Mojotone British 4x12
Ampeg SVT 810

Offline stanner

• s t a n o s a u r
« Reply #205 on: October 07, 2010, 01:10:42 pm »
cool pix Mikey-i wanna hear you guys @ some point soon
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Offline matto)))

« Reply #206 on: October 07, 2010, 04:02:07 pm »
VERY NICE. ive been looking for a 2nd 412l for a while now, that full stack looks great

is that an old boss x-tortion pedal (red) i see on the ground?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 09:33:04 am by matto))) »

Offline mike_sims

« Reply #207 on: October 09, 2010, 02:28:56 am »
Thanks for all the feedback & kind words dudes! I haven't been on here much, been extremely busy with these two projects I have at hand right now.

@ Walt: indeed man, that top one  8-) Thanks again man!

@ Stan: the time is near my friend... We're looking for a venue as we speak I'll be contacting you when we figure out what's going on, the original plan fell through so we're thinking possibly the Stork Club or maybe somewhere in SF (which would kick ass for you!). We gotta see some pics of your setup! Stan's setup blows mine away, by far.

@Matt: Yeah the 412L's come and go. There was one point where I kept seeing them over and over again on ebay and craigslist for really good prices. Some guy nearby I think was selling an unloaded one for $50!!! It was promptly sold though. The pedal setup in that pic (from Right to Left): Tuner, modified RAT, modified Big Muff PI, Boss DM2 (OLD boss delay pedal), Way Huge Aqua Puss delay (yes, 2 delay pedals, I'll throw some live footage up when we create sonic mass with the stanosaur to show exactly why), Boss BF-2 Flanger, Dunlop Crybaby Wah (soon to hopefully be replaced by a Iron Parachute wah) and that's all going into my Morley A/B/Y box. In the process of getting a Phase Wizard from Gentry of Eagle Twin as I think Stan is too if he hasn't already. Also, stay tuned for more Model T's and possibly... an SG!?

Our drummer's setup is pretty ridiculous too (don't know if there's any drummers on here). All his Toms are basically the size of Floor toms  :-o dude plays a weird style, it's like open handed/righty/lefty. It works for him though, super loud.
MAXIMUM VOLUME YIELDS MAXIMUM GOATS

1974 Sunn Model T
1975 Sunn Model T
2 Sunn 412L cabs

Offline rot gut

« Reply #208 on: October 10, 2010, 04:33:41 pm »

Offline matto)))

« Reply #209 on: October 10, 2010, 04:43:30 pm »
nice emperor cab!