Author Topic: Sunn Beta lead footswitch socket - wiring colours  (Read 1480 times)

Offline Weaselsneezer78

Sunn Beta lead footswitch socket - wiring colours
« on: September 02, 2023, 02:59:10 pm »
Hi, hoping you guys can help me again.

I've cracked open my Beta lead to see how a previous owner has wired up a 5 pin DIN socket (pictured). I'm hoping to fashion a footswitch based on previous posts here, but using a DIN socket, or at some point may just replace the DIN for the original 4 pin.

My question - what is the colour coding for the socket wiring? Based on the footswitch schematic I've reasoned -
Black - ground
Blue - both channels (A+B)
White with grey shielding - single channel (AorB)
White no shielding - reverb

Is this correct, or am I completely off the mark?

Many thanks in advance.

Offline Weaselsneezer78

Re: Sunn Beta lead footswitch socket - wiring colours
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2023, 05:44:26 am »
Just adding to this thread with some (not so great) shots of the preamp solder positions for context, as I realised my question without these doesn't really equate to much...  :-D

Looking down at the preamp PCB from above at the 15 or so connections, Black wire goes to position 2, White (shielded) splits to positions 5&6, and the blue and white wires go to the last positions down at the bottom. It would be great to know what these colours relate to in terms of reverb, channels A+B, ground, and channels A/B. I'm doing my best to follow the schematics, but a bit lost.

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2023, 05:57:45 pm »
Looking at the end of the board where the blue and white wires connect, the white wire is the "P" line that goes to the footswitch pin 1. The blue wire is the "S" line that goes to the footswitch pin 3. Counting from the bottom of the board where the blue and white wires connect and white being #1, position 10 is the Reverb line that goes to the footswitch pin 2 and position 11 is the ground that goes to the footswitch pin 4.

Offline Weaselsneezer78

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2023, 05:12:15 am »
I was off the mark a touch then! That's awesome, thanks for the info.

Offline lurkanddestroy

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2023, 11:21:58 pm »
did you finally build your footswitch?