Author Topic: Modify my 100S Sunn Amp?  (Read 1980 times)

Offline jerryjg

Modify my 100S Sunn Amp?
« on: August 11, 2017, 08:27:19 am »
Since they are a relatively low value amp( i kinda put the them in the same category as old Traynors), I would like to inquire about modding my 60's 100S. My question is, has anyone modified  an old 100S ( I wouldn't mod a 1200S- I don't think modding a 100S would be sacralige-lots of people mod the old Traynor Bassmasters to good effect to make them sound more Marshall-y) to  make the 100S sound more Blackface Fender-y specifically ?

Probably just blowing smoke as it's probably  unlikely it could be done, just thought I'd check. So has anyone modified the old 60's Sunns at all, and to sound like what?

Offline Ryan Phelps

Re: Modify my 100S Sunn Amp?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 02:50:02 pm »
Well, I have not tried this. However, in my area the cost of a Sunn 100S and a blackface Fender Bassman or Bandmaster is roughly the same. The platform is very different and the cost of modifying the Sunn would result in a larger total investment than a Fender. And......you will have devalued the Sunn. Who is going to want it when you are done with it? Just my 2 cents.

Offline bigobassman

• "You can't have too much bass."
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 08:51:43 pm »
I'm with Ryan on this one.    :-)
"You can't have too much bass."

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 08:59:17 am »
I would think that the power amp section of the Sunn would not lend itself to making it sound like another amp, being an ultralinear amp. But why would you want to make it sound like another amp? Other amps already sound like other amps.

One thing you might think about, though, is converting the ultralinear power section to a triode power section. That would, of course, greatly reduce the power output, but low power amps are popular these days. It might sound really good when driven into distortion, and should be easily reversible.
Isaac

Offline Soundmasterg

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 05:06:54 pm »
I would think that the power amp section of the Sunn would not lend itself to making it sound like another amp, being an ultralinear amp. But why would you want to make it sound like another amp? Other amps already sound like other amps.

One thing you might think about, though, is converting the ultralinear power section to a triode power section. That would, of course, greatly reduce the power output, but low power amps are popular these days. It might sound really good when driven into distortion, and should be easily reversible.

I'm with Isaac....other amps already sound like other amps. You could leave the amp UL and disconnect the NFB and get some more grit out of the amp, but with the 6550/KT88 output section and general design of the amp, it generates a hard distortion that isn't particularly pleasant for a guitarist unless you are trying to be the doom and gloom bands that like that sound. There are many ways you could redesign the circuit or add tubes, etc., but at the end of the day with the high voltages, the choice of output tubes, and the large output transformer, the amp will have a certain type of sound that many guitarists just don't like, and you probably won't like, and then you'll end up trying to sell a modded amp that people won't like.

Greg