Author Topic: 70s (vibrato/Reverb) footswitch wiring  (Read 2048 times)

Offline GrannyGremlin

70s (vibrato/Reverb) footswitch wiring
« on: November 03, 2017, 10:46:56 am »
So I found an old Sunn footswitch, period correct for my 1200s and Solarus amps, but someone has previously used it as a chassis donor for some other type of device (there was a large cap and a relay in there when I got it; lots of leads not connected to anything at 1 end).  I want to wire it up and put it to use.

My question: Are the ground (sleeve) wires for both RCA jacks common (or can they be without causing issues)?  Specifically, I was hoping to be able to use balanced mic/line cable (2 conductor coax w shield) from switch to amp vs dual monoconductor coax cable (i.e. hifi interconnect  or 2 x guitar cable) which would be bulkier.  Any reason I shouldn't do this?

Since this is pretty much chassis only, I was going to put a TRS jack at the switch end and have a detachable 1/4" TRS to dual RCA cable as the interconnect.  Also considering adding indicator LEDs for both FX (since all the stomp switches I have are at least 2 pole anyway), but maybe that's not worthwhile.  If i do it would be battery only (it would last forever just powering 2 LEDs and be cleaner than running a power cable to it).

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
Re: 70s (vibrato/Reverb) footswitch wiring
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 09:06:46 am »
I used a Peavey foot switch with my Sentura II for several years. It has a TRS plug. I used a Radio Shack stereo jack to dual RCA plugs to mate it with the amp, so I don't think you'll have any problems.
Isaac

Offline GrannyGremlin

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 09:50:57 am »
Cool; thanks for the confirm.

Offline GrannyGremlin

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 12:08:23 pm »
So I cleaned her up and decided to improve on the original (got extra poles on the switches anyway) by adding indicator LEDs

Before:

And after: