Author Topic: Sunn Amps in the Movies  (Read 17925 times)

Offline Jeff Troy

Sunn Amps in the Movies
« on: January 11, 2011, 07:36:18 pm »
Hi, Guys,

I love bad movies, and tonight I accidentally hit on a Sunn gem.

If you have Comcast cable with their OnDemand service, go to the Free Movies category and check out Blast-Off Girls. Writer/director is Hershel Gordon-Lewis.

I haven't watched it beyond the first five minutes, but the opening scene has a truly bad bar band with at least two sparkling-new Sunn rigs in the back line.

The film is copyrighted at 1967, and what I saw looked like a 200S class head with a double-15 cabinet, and a similar-size head with a smaller cabinet to the left. Hofner bass, some kind of Ricky guitar and an SG.

These guys are absolutely the worst, which is merit enough to make the movie a prize. I haven't heard playing and singing this bad in so long that it was almost refreshing. Bad stretch -- it really sucks, but it was cool seeing those old amps back there. Now I'll have to watch the rest of this shitfest.

Warmest...
759 New Holland Ave.
Lancaster PA 17602
C: 717-917-3670
www.bandmix.com/jefftroy
www.jefftroy.com (under construction)

Offline CLD

• Sunn Sorado
Re: Sunn Amps in the Movies
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 10:19:07 pm »
Sounds wonderful! I'll have to watch that as soon as I finish watching "Plan 9 from Outer Space" again ...
Sunn since June 1971!
1971 Sorado, 2000S, Coliseum Bass, Coliseum Lead
1970 200S; 1974 Coliseum 880

Offline warandhairstyle

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 08:26:32 am »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3iS5Lq9Z_4

found this trailer... it wouldn't quite play correctly but seems to be the right film.  all I could really make out was the Silvertone.
When life gives you lemons, buy amplifiers.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 11:31:47 am »
I also love bad movies. I have a pretty extensive collection of them, particularly horrible 50's SciFi.

Sounds wonderful! I'll have to watch that as soon as I finish watching "Plan 9 from Outer Space" again ...

Although Plan 9 is often touted as the worst movie ever, I personally think there are worse, possibly even much worse. Ed Wood himself has films that are worse IMO; see if you can make it through "Glenn or Glenda"!  :-D

Here's a titillating "must see"...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zkCnHUnoYY&NR=1

No Sunns, but I wonder how many children were conceived in the back seat of cars at the drive in while this gem was playing.  :-D

Offline Jeff Troy

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 11:57:23 am »
Hi, Ed,

Wow! Absolutely great trailer. Clearly one of the few movies I should but don't have.

My DVD collection just passed 6700, and I have hundreds more on VHS -- even beta! -- that I have to transfer.

I watched Blast-Off Girls all the way through last night, but the only Sunn appearance was in the opening scene. Conrad probably bailed when the movie's "producer" offered to give the  band "amps that didn't blow speakers" to replace what they had. Frankly, the first stuff was a lot better than what they played through afterward. Looked they had a Vox PA column on a stand like my old Super Beatle cabs.

These guys are unbelievably horrible; sometmes relative pitch is a curse.

Are we going to need a separate yak box for bad film?

Warmest...
759 New Holland Ave.
Lancaster PA 17602
C: 717-917-3670
www.bandmix.com/jefftroy
www.jefftroy.com (under construction)

Offline django7866

• gatedoom
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 09:30:28 pm »
I posted this in another thread. I saw the movie about the Runaways, and there were scenes of the bass player, playing through a sunn. you can barely make out the sunn symbol, but you could definitely tell it was sunn. it like as though she was playing through a 200s or something similar. Also this movie was terrible!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHpEJ749TRM
Model T Reissue(sold)
74' Model T 1st Gen.
77' Model T 2nd Gen.
70's Concert Lead(sold)
70's Concert Bass(sold)
sunn Sonic II 60 watts(sold)
70's sunn 610L cab(sold)
412s cab
412 enclosure reissue
Sonic 2x10x1x18 cab

Offline sunn-tanned

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 09:36:47 am »
Not a movie however there are a couple of good shots of Sunns being used in Oregon's "Vortex 1" in 1970. I wasn't quite old enough to attend being 11, and looking back we had our very own "Woodstock"  :mrgreen:

Enjoy!

Oh, the Sunn amps are seen around the 15.30 minute mark.

http://www.opb.org/programs/oregonexperience/programs/player/28-Vortex-I

hmm...........I only live about 15 minutes away from this area, maybe we should try this again?

Hi, Guys,

I love bad movies, and tonight I accidentally hit on a Sunn gem.

If you have Comcast cable with their OnDemand service, go to the Free Movies category and check out Blast-Off Girls. Writer/director is Hershel Gordon-Lewis.

I haven't watched it beyond the first five minutes, but the opening scene has a truly bad bar band with at least two sparkling-new Sunn rigs in the back line.

The film is copyrighted at 1967, and what I saw looked like a 200S class head with a double-15 cabinet, and a similar-size head with a smaller cabinet to the left. Hofner bass, some kind of Ricky guitar and an SG.

These guys are absolutely the worst, which is merit enough to make the movie a prize. I haven't heard playing and singing this bad in so long that it was almost refreshing. Bad stretch -- it really sucks, but it was cool seeing those old amps back there. Now I'll have to watch the rest of this shitfest.

Warmest...
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 12:40:49 pm by sunn-tanned »

Offline matto)))

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 10:42:42 am »
It's funny you bring up sunn in bad movies, as my set up was just in the movie Calendar Girl,  it was done without my knowledge and when i saw the movie i thought to my self, "wow they have the same sunn towers i do....wait a minute!"  Turns out i worked with one of the minor characters in the movie. i also practiced in the back building of my work at the time, where they filmed a quick scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ep0ifVlDXY
heres the trailor, sorry no shot of the sunn in it tho

Offline jaybird

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 07:25:06 pm »
In The Germs bio-pic "What We Do Is Secret" from a few years ago, it looks like a Model T re-issue in this scene:

FFWD to 2:30:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ziXLQEp8-c&feature=related
Coliseum 300
Fender-era Sunn 215 cab

Offline mike_sims

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 07:17:12 pm »
Good eyes, definitely is a Model T RI
MAXIMUM VOLUME YIELDS MAXIMUM GOATS

1974 Sunn Model T
1975 Sunn Model T
2 Sunn 412L cabs

Offline stanner

• s t a n o s a u r
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 10:22:21 pm »
iz there any proof that the real band  'germs' used any sunn stuff?
i saw the original band and from the looks of the movie-have nothing to do w/ each other.
when i saw them it was fender ampeg or generic stuff, flea market-swap meet...
loved the real punk days!!
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Offline sturoc

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 07:50:48 pm »
The Vortex 1 footage is a must see just from a festival / anti gov pov !
Wow!
Sunn 215BH x 2, Acoustic 150B

Offline jerryjg

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 05:12:26 pm »
I have previously posted that Segal, a big gear collector, put a Sunn amp on the set of Marked for Death, and it had no  relevant place whatseover on the set, except fpr Segal to get a Tax writeoff on a vintage Sunn amp he took home I would think for sure.
You look at half the cool stuff on sets, and its all their for someone to take home as a tax writeoff after the movie ios done. A huge perk.

Offline tepidclone

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2016, 06:03:20 am »
Hey, new to the forum... was looking through netflix the other day and landed on an early (very early) Ben Affleck movie called "Glory Daze" and started watching, if you're into the whole 90's movie thing you'll dig it. Noticed a Sunn (2000S?) in the corner when they "got the band back together"