Author Topic: T50C 112 Extension Cabinet  (Read 2965 times)

Offline JonO)))

T50C 112 Extension Cabinet
« on: September 05, 2010, 10:11:12 pm »
I caught the DIY bug from reading this site and from watching some very helpful videos on youtube, and have just finished a couple of extension cabinets for my T50C.

If anyone wants to do the same, let me know and I would be glad to help out with specs/advice.

Offline mckinnon audio

Re: T50C 112 Extension Cabinet
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 07:54:32 am »
  Those cabs.turned out well,nice looking stack !! Mel.

Offline HRobert

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 08:11:38 am »
Very nice job.  What kind of wood did you use?  Looks kind of like the birch plywood that I used.  Bet the stack sounds great.

Rob

Offline JonO)))

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 02:57:56 pm »
I was told that birch/maple ply (used by FMIC) is only available in Australia by import, so I used some marine grade 12-ply (practically no 'knots or fills') from my local timber yard. I had only intended to make one cab, but a sheet of ply (2400x1200mm) was big enough to make two. Baffles and backs are the same material.

The frames are just pine.

Whilst my cabs are closed-backed (and the speakers front-mounted), the speaker in my amp sounds punchier atm despite being in an open-backed cabinet. I did see a video on YouTube which suggested new speakers need to be broken in, so that might explain it. But I do love the sound and rumble of all three speakers played together (at 4Ohms) and, being as I love the sound for which Sunns have most recently been famous, I am pretty close to the sound I was looking for.