Author Topic: Concert head repair  (Read 1861 times)

Offline Robbie Nuke

Concert head repair
« on: January 31, 2008, 02:52:55 am »
I have a first generation (silver faced) Concert bass head. Some time ago while gigging, the speaker it was going to (8 Ohm) opened and the head overheated (heat sink got extremely hot). I put the amp aside for awhile and just recently tried it at home. It doesn't sound as 'full bodied' as before the incident and one side of the heat sink area (right looking from the back where the power transistors are mounted) gets warm while the other (left) side stays room temp. NOTE: When gigging with amp before the incident the heat sink would run very warm/hot depending on if the load was 8 Ohm / 4 Ohm... I used this as a refernce of normal operating temp since it performed like this very well for many years.

I'm assuming a pair of the power transistors has went bad and should replace all four of them. Any suggestions as to brand and model/part number? Any other tips (i.e. use stock replacement only or can I upgrade the transistors to tweek a few more Watts from the amp)?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 10:11:45 am by Robbie Nuke »

Offline mckinnon audio

Re: Cocert head repair
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 06:55:36 am »
  Hi Rob,sounds like you have some leaky outputs or some bad emitter resistors. I would check them all and then take one from the "good" side and compare them.Ideally get a curve tracer and you could match the outputs.I'd go with orig.'s,I'm not a fan of ECG/NTE trans. Motorola's are good though.Can't remember,but I think the orig.'s are RCA,good luck Mel.

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
Re: Cocert head repair
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 07:28:21 am »
I would change all five - including the output driver which IIRC is the one on the far right hand side looking at it from the back.

Mel has a good point about checking the emitter resistors (the .27 ohm 10 watters that bridge between the board and the transistor sockets). Measure the value once the transistor is out of the socket. Generally, if these are bad you will get an infinity reading (open - as opposed to a short).

Do not even give a thought to matching transistors.

There will not be any increase in output power by substituting output transistors.

Nothing wrong with using stock replacements (i.e. 2N3055). If you can find 2N3773 types (16A 140V 150Watts) don't hesistate to use them as they will be more durable... but you are really just wasting money using higher ratings/higher cost transistors like MJ15024 types.

No suggestion as to brand. I haven't found any reason to think it makes any difference. I order from Mouser... and I usually just order the cheapest transistor of the type they have in stock. (Maybe in the future we will be arguing over JJ and Ruby and NOS style 2N3055s  :roll: but not today)

While you're at it, if the amp has been sitting awhile you might want to give some serious thought about replacing the power amp electrolytic (usually 3400 @ 75 volts). This will probably cost you more than all of the transistors combined, but I would do it anyway.

Tips:

Use new micas and thermal compound - make sure to clean the old stuff off well. Don't glob on the compound as all you need is a thin film. Clean off the excess that will squeeze out once you snug the transistor down.

Don't mix up the emitter/base pins and try to force it into the socket. Don't overtighten the screws, especially the first one but make sure the first one is snug before putting the other in (because of the cover)...

and do not leave off the cover in hopes that the transistor will stay cooler.  :-D

Offline Robbie Nuke

Re: Concert head repair
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 06:47:20 pm »
Thanks for the tips so far. I especially like the idea of more durable transistors (I take that to mean it can take more temp extremes).

I'll probably get to this in a few weeks. But right now I'm trying to decide what size ports for a Bassman VT cabinet (stock is infinite baffle design). Cabinet depth (11") is the same as old Kustom (which use 3.5" dia x 4" depth ports) and Sunn cabinets (which use 3" x 4" depth ports). I was hoping to find out the size of those on various Ampeg cabinets (B25, V2) since they don't use any tubes.. just holes cut in the baffle).

Offline cromag

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 04:57:22 pm »
yeah, i figure i'll get to my alpha slave in a few weeks too. :lol:

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 05:12:12 pm »
yeah, i figure i'll get to my alpha slave in a few weeks too. :lol:

:roll:  :roll:  :roll:

:-D

Offline cromag