Author Topic: Aims Amp?  (Read 3743 times)

Offline Addam

• Opus Noir
Aims Amp?
« on: September 16, 2009, 11:51:00 am »
I know this is a Sunn forum and these amps aren't Sunn, but I haven't been able to find any info on them and they are fairly old so I thought I'd ask.

Does anyone know anything about these?  I just picked up an Aims Eclipsor and 4x12(which is the biggest 4x12 I've ever seen) from a pawn shop in my city for $300.  I was kind of surprised to see that the cab is rated at 5 ohms.  I had never seen that before, but everything works on this set up so that's pretty cool.  Really the only thing I know about these amps is that Aims was started by a group of Fender engineers back in the late 70s.  That's all I've been able to find.  Any help?

Offline foxfire

Re: Aims Amp?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 08:43:08 pm »
the only thing i know about them is that i've always wanted one and well i guess that i know that i'm jealous of you...

Offline mckinnon audio

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 10:13:02 pm »
  Hi there,I used to play through an AIMS 1 x 15" solid state combo,can't remember the model # as I didn't own the amp.Sounded ok though,this would have been late 70's,Mel.

Offline Addam

• Opus Noir
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 12:15:44 am »
Thanks for the help guys.

Aims isn't the hardest amps to get in my city for some reason.  I got my setup and my friend got 2 PA towers(10" speakers) fairly recently too.  The half stack sounds really good with a Big Muff in my new project.

Offline rmr84

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 04:30:49 pm »
AIMS also made tube amps as well. All I know is around the 70's, made in Phoenix, Arizona... They were owned by another company though. Slips my mind though. Definitely hard to find information on them.

I was working a trade for a 70's AIM tube amp, but I ended up not going through with it, was not the sound I was looking for.

Offline Addam

• Opus Noir
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 04:40:43 pm »
Actually, I didn't know they made solid state amps because the one at my house is the only head I've seen from them and it's tube.  I guess I could take pictures if anyone was interested.

Offline rmr84

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 04:56:56 pm »
I would be interested in see it... how is the sound?

Do you live in Arizona? I see a few on Phoenix Craigslist from time to time.

Offline Addam

• Opus Noir
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 01:48:31 am »
I'll take some sometime tomorrow.  It sounds really good, but could use some new tubes.  I live in Omaha, Nebraska.