Author Topic: 400 Watt Reeves pics  (Read 10712 times)

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
400 Watt Reeves pics
« on: February 16, 2011, 08:38:34 am »
I know it's not a Sunn, but it's still fun to look at. I just picked up this new Reeves prototype for testing. It's a 400 watt version of the Reeves C225; for those who just can't get the job done with a "puny" little 250 watter... :roll:

Here's the pics I have. I'll probably fire her up later this week once I figure out what to hook it to, and where I can blast it without hurting anybody or damaging anything.
First I need to scrounge up six matched KT88's though.
If there are any questions I'll answer if I can, but at this point it hasn't had a note played through it. The trannies are freekin' massive, the chassis as pictured weighs 64.8 lbs.

Offline CLD

• Sunn Sorado
Re: 400 Watt Reeves pics
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 11:03:00 am »
How about using one of your 200S or 2000S cabs? Those would certainly seem appropriate!

Based on your earlier posts about testing Reeves projects, I'm pretty intrigued by the C225. I know we've talked about the 2000S and I already have a 200w all-tube Aguilar DB359, which sounds wonderful, but as my car buddies always say, "There's no such thing as too much horsepower."
Sunn since June 1971!
1971 Sorado, 2000S, Coliseum Bass, Coliseum Lead
1970 200S; 1974 Coliseum 880

Offline mckinnon audio

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 01:30:30 pm »
   I'd love to hear that with a pair of 2000S cabs,and a Fender bass,man that would be cool !!

Offline chev

• feel the tone!
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 02:26:20 pm »
that looks massive|? :-o waiting for some clip.

so Reeves is basically an actualized version of the vintage Hiwatt? I've read Hiwatt has build some amp for Sound City between 1966-1968, that explain why these are super hard to find.

I know it all come from Dave Reeves design but why having 2 brand selling the same thing, is there a difference?

it's a different beast than Sunn amps except some model can make a nice clean& loud amp...I must say those amps get my attention... :wink:

all I've found for now is this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiwatt

thanks for posting...
Sunn Model T 1st gen+Sunn 215s+Sunn 412s, Sunn Beta Bass+Sunn 215+Sunn Coliseum Slave+2 x Sunn 115

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 10:18:38 pm »
How about using one of your 200S or 2000S cabs? Those would certainly seem appropriate!

Based on your earlier posts about testing Reeves projects, I'm pretty intrigued by the C225. I know we've talked about the 2000S and I already have a 200w all-tube Aguilar DB359, which sounds wonderful, but as my car buddies always say, "There's no such thing as too much horsepower."

I had a DB 359 for a while, very sophisticated tube amp. Probably a little too sophisticated for me, actually, but IMO a great, well built modern amp with lots of versatility. Kind of an awkward size, I used to call it the “pizza box”.

I'd love to hear that with a pair of 2000S cabs,and a Fender bass,man that would be cool !!

There is no doubt that “the beast” will get a run with a pair of 2000S cabs. Truthfully I’m a little concerned about my vintage drivers; I would be really bummed if I popped a D or K series, but I have a pair that I can load with EV’s and probably be safe.
I do have a pair of 215S’s that have EVN15L’s in them and will probably get worked out tomorrow afternoon if I can get the logistics worked out.

As far as the Fender bass… Here’s a pic I just took. I’ve been comparing the C400 tone stack against the C225 using a K140 loaded Sonic I40 cab at low levels, and you can see what basses I’m using. :wink:

Notice the 3 JJ’s and 3 GT’s I’m using for KT88’s, they were the best matched sextet I could scrounge up around the house. Luckily a matched sextet of JJ’s should arrive tomorrow, I just had some time to kill this evening and wanted to get at the new “toy”.

that looks massive|? :-o waiting for some clip.

so Reeves is basically an actualized version of the vintage Hiwatt? I've read Hiwatt has build some amp for Sound City between 1966-1968, that explain why these are super hard to find.

I know it all come from Dave Reeves design but why having 2 brand selling the same thing, is there a difference?

it's a different beast than Sunn amps except some model can make a nice clean& loud amp...I must say those amps get my attention... :wink:

all I've found for now is this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiwatt

thanks for posting...

The original Reeves Amplification (http://www.reevesamps.com/) was initially established as a way to import new British Hiwatts to the US. Fernandes owned the rights to the Hiwatt name for the US, but weren't importing the UK models (built by Music Ground, the original "Hiwatt" was long gone by then), but I think they were just branding some small wattage, inexpensive Asian imports with the Hiwatt label.
So, Reeves was bringing in the UK Hiwatts, but labeled as "Reeves" because of the Fernandes situation. Of course, Reeves was a brand in and of itself, once the amps got here all warranty, repairs, etc. needed to be covered by Reeves, so they needed to have full repair and testing facilities in the US to service and back the products. It didn’t take long for them to realize that building the amps domestically was far more cost efficient than paying to import the amps from the UK, so for a while they were building Hiwatt clones and selling them side by side with the UK imports. For the last several years Reeves has stopped importing amps from the UK completely, and has branched out into building their own designs, generally based on the original Dave Reeves circuits, some totally different, but all built to the stringent build standards established by Harry Joyce in the Hiwatt heydays. Look at the wiring on the prototype I posted, that will give you a good idea what I mean.
The current C225 and the prototype C400 aren’t Hiwatt clones, there are some differences; more bass response, higher power output and more headroom than the UK versions. Also, the Reeves are 24” wide to better fit on a variety of bass cabs than the 28” wide Hiwatts, have a 12dB input pad for active basses, and have a DI; after the output transformer to get all the “tubey goodness” to the mixing board, if PA support is required.

The foremost authority on Hiwatt history that I know of personally is Mark Huss, his website is http://hiwatt.org/
That is probably the best “primer” about Hiwatt if you are looking for info about the history, and info about models, years, etc. He’s a real nice guy, I’ve had the opportunity to speak with him in person on several occasions at Hiwatt conventions.

Offline CLD

• Sunn Sorado
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 10:38:01 am »
EdBass' post: I had an Aguilar DB 359 for a while, very sophisticated tube amp. Kind of an awkward size, I used to call it the “pizza box.”

Agreed. It is sophisticated but easy to operate, which I like. If not for that awkward size, I wouldn't even be considering an alternative.
Sunn since June 1971!
1971 Sorado, 2000S, Coliseum Bass, Coliseum Lead
1970 200S; 1974 Coliseum 880

Offline mike_sims

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 01:03:15 am »
Awesome Amp, I'd love to hear it. That Ric is awfully purdy too  :-o
MAXIMUM VOLUME YIELDS MAXIMUM GOATS

1974 Sunn Model T
1975 Sunn Model T
2 Sunn 412L cabs

Offline chev

• feel the tone!
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 01:19:26 am »
thanks for the info Edbass.

now I know the 1970's Hiwatt I've seen for 1200$CAD was the deal! :roll:

if I ever get something in that vein one day, it will have to be a vintage Hiwatt or a new Reeves...!
Sunn Model T 1st gen+Sunn 215s+Sunn 412s, Sunn Beta Bass+Sunn 215+Sunn Coliseum Slave+2 x Sunn 115

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 10:34:22 pm »
Finally got a chance to do some high SPL testing, opened her up pretty good. It’s loud, real loud, but that’s not too surprising. We used a SVT for comparison, also a nice amp but not even in the same league as far as clean, chest punching power. We used some of a buddy of mines gig rig cabs;

Pair of Eminence 3015’s in TL606 cabs. Pretty loud

Ampeg V9 and SVT cabs, seventeen 10” drivers, original, I think CTS. We took it a little easy on the old cabs…

The “blaster” rig. A Sunn 215S loaded with EVM15L on top of a pair of EVM15B’s loaded in another set of TL606 (my buddy likes the 606’s, and they work particularly well with EV drivers since they are EV designs).
We pretty much dimed it with this set up. The Reeves chassis was dancing around like an ice cube on a skillet, we had to take turns playing and holding the amp from walking off.
Both of us have decades of experience with truly loud situations, arena league PA’s from 5’, etc., but it was SO freekin’ loud in that smaller room we stopped after a few minutes and put on shooting range ear protection; really.

No clip, it was a quickie, but I’ll try to get some clips up with some 2000S cabs soon.

Offline chev

• feel the tone!
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 01:46:03 am »
We pretty much dimed it with this set up. The Reeves chassis was dancing around like an ice cube on a skillet, we had to take turns playing and holding the amp from walking off.

lol! :-D

sick test rig you have there! :-o

Offline Happy Face

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 07:20:46 am »
Beautful!! All around beautiful!

Of course, the handbag amp crowd will whine that you cannot carry in a cute little gig bag...

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 09:06:14 am »
Beautful!! All around beautiful!

Of course, the handbag amp crowd will whine that you cannot carry in a cute little gig bag...

Yeah, well, it's not exactly "portable"!  :-D
Until I figure out how to get it mounted in the head cab I have for the C225, the "handy carrying case" is pictured here on top of the power transformer...

Offline Happy Face

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 08:10:49 pm »
Because of your wisdom as to the 24" width, it is portable. Heavy is a lot more easy to deal with than awkward size. 

In my modest opinion.

Offline mike_sims

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 04:30:40 pm »
Ed, are you going to build a Hiwatt/Plexi style cab for the head?
MAXIMUM VOLUME YIELDS MAXIMUM GOATS

1974 Sunn Model T
1975 Sunn Model T
2 Sunn 412L cabs