Author Topic: Beta Lead (speaker)troubles -the Saga Continues!  (Read 5527 times)

Offline mesheepeshee

Beta Lead (speaker)troubles -the Saga Continues!
« on: August 26, 2009, 12:00:22 am »
hello enlightened folks!
The last time I was on the message board, i was concerned about my beta lead, and you guys helped me figure out that it fried out - i brought it to the technician, and its working again!
Now i slid the amp back into its slot in the cabinet (2x12), plugged everything in strum the guitar while turning the volume below 1 or 2, and the darn speaker dies out on me!
I have no acess to another speaker cab, so i assume its not the amps' fault. The speakers look unhealthy, so it must be a speaker problem I'd say.
Now I've never replaced speakers before, and haven't handled a soldering iron since grade school. Can anyone help me out with this "project"? I'd need to know what to buy and how to do what(I prefer speakers that master low end).

Also what I've been wondering about the combo, what are those iron blocks that are attached to the speakers? do i need to keep em for the future speakers or what?
http://www.ad-bazaar.com/uploads/amp/13/140143894779-2.jpg (Not mine. Mine looks like it has acid burns in the back)

Thank you!

Offline HRobert

Re: Beta Lead (speaker)troubles -the Saga Continues!
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 10:17:00 pm »
mesheep,

If you don't have a soldering iron, I suggest going to your local Radio Shack and getting a basic type iron not a soldering gun, and some solder.  Its  very easy to use. you just have to remember to heat up the joint well enough so the solder flows and so you don't get a cold joint...one that makes a bad connection.

I'm not sure as to the type of speaker you have, but from the description, the square blocks of metal on the back of the speakers are the magnets.  If the speakers are shot, you have two obvious solutuins. 1. buy new speakers. 2. get the older ones reconed.  I would have the older speakers re-coned to keep the entegrety of the amp, but some really nice speakers by Emenence or Celestion are great also.  Make sure that you check the impedence of the speakers.

Offline mesheepeshee

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 04:17:21 am »
thank you for your response HRobert!some follow-up questions:
Its  very easy to use. you just have to remember to heat up the joint well enough so the solder flows and so you don't get a cold joint...one that makes a bad connection.

the black and white wire...should i rip those out from the jack or do they come with the new speakers I'll buy?

Also, what is the function of the magnetic blocks? Besides integrity, does it have any importance as far as the performance or sound of the amp goes?

Thank you also for the speaker suggestions

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 08:09:44 am »

Its  very easy to use. you just have to remember to heat up the joint well enough so the solder flows and so you don't get a cold joint...one that makes a bad connection.

the black and white wire...should i rip those out from the jack or do they come with the new speakers I'll buy?

Also, what is the function of the magnetic blocks? Besides integrity, does it have any importance as far as the performance or sound of the amp goes?

Those “blocks” are permanent magnets, and speakers won’t work without them. You need to read this;

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/speaker6.htm

Also, no offence intended, but reading your posts it sounds like you should probably stay away from your amp with a soldering iron in your hand. Get somebody to do that for you.  :wink:

Offline mesheepeshee

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 09:27:36 pm »

Those “blocks” are permanent magnets, and speakers won’t work without them. You need to read this;

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/speaker6.htm

Also, no offence intended, but reading your posts it sounds like you should probably stay away from your amp with a soldering iron in your hand. Get somebody to do that for you.  :wink:

no offense taken, its just a financial issue w/ hiring a professional. So if I were to buy, say, celestion speakers do they have the magnetic pieces within the speaker? Because the magnetic blocks on my current speakers are massive. would i have to attach the blocks to the new speakers, and if yes, how to do so?

Offline imgettingcloser

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 05:43:31 pm »
If you haven't checked, I would try out the cable between the connection for the head and the speaker input mainly because that's a simple fix and cheap if it's not the actual cable. Your amp does kind of seem to do what mine was doing. Which was cutting in and out. My problem ended up being a $2 transistor inside of the head. So, it could very well be something going on inside of the amp.