Author Topic: Need help ID'ing the '68 SUNN cabinet  (Read 1868 times)

Offline shlepakoff

Need help ID'ing the '68 SUNN cabinet
« on: September 21, 2017, 03:22:39 am »
Hi all!

New to this forum, VERY excited to be here. I'm thinking of picking up this gutted cab (https://houston.craigslist.org/msg/d/vintage-2x15-guitar-bass/6313317751.html). Need your expertise on the following:
1. confirming that this is in fact a SUNN cab (model would be appreciated);
2.  identifying which speakers it originally shipped with;
3. what do initials "L.D" stand for?

Thanks in advance to all responders!

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
Re: Need help ID'ing the '68 SUNN cabinet
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 08:26:32 am »
My impressions: Tolex looks right, corners look right, internal construction looks right, handle, casters, so yes, probably a Sunn. But the cabinet doesn't appear to be ported in any way, and offhand, I can't think of any early Sunn cabinets that were sealed. L. D. would be the initials of the worker who finished the cabinet. The cutout on the back of the cabinet looks about right to hold a JBL crossover, which would mean that this cabinet would originally have more likely been a PA bottom than a bass guitar cabinet, but, again, I'd expect it to be ported.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
Isaac

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Re: Need help ID'ing the '68 SUNN cabinet
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 05:44:30 am »
I think it's a 100S cab that has been modified into a 215 from the factory configuration of 1 JBL D130F and a compression driver horn. That cutout in the back is a giveaway, it's where the crossover was mounted. Rare cab, but I'm afraid the one you are looking at has had a new baffle installed.

The Reverb cab is it's big brother, the 1000S; 2 X D130F (D15S) with the driver/horn and rear mounted crossover, the driver/horn you see in the Reverb cab is the same one originally in your CL cab.
The 1000S is a bigger cab, 46" X 30" X 15", the Craig's List cab is smaller, with no room for a 15" and the driver/horn assembly in the top of the cab.

Not sure why the Reverb cab has D140's, either they are replacements or the cab was spec'ed with them on a special order.

My guess is that "L.D." are the initials of the Sunn employee who built the box, or maybe the one who stuffed and wired the cab at the factory.