Author Topic: Rack Digital Alignment Delay ???  (Read 3174 times)

Offline juan doggie

Rack Digital Alignment Delay ???
« on: January 10, 2011, 08:53:33 am »
I've a lot of sunn stuff but I recently picked up a digital alignment delay;
a piece of tape on it warned me that the output is inverted with respect to the input?
Does anybody know what this piece is all about?

Offline tacklebox455

• meh'
Re: Rack Digital Alignment Delay ???
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 09:44:16 am »
its big words for saying it should only be used in a effects loop but you can use it like a stomp box just wont sound as good.
1975 Sunn model T
2007Crate Blue voodoo BV 120(mercury magnetics upgraded)
Randall RT 503
Jet City JCA 22H
Creepy fingers harakiri superfuzz
Creepy fingers doomidrive
Earthbound Audio supercollider
Malekko Plus Ultra 213

Offline mckinnon audio

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 10:06:45 am »
  Hi there,if it's an alignment delay unit,it's not an echo or reverb type delay.It's used for time offset correction when you're using multiple sound sources,like a concert setting where you have the FOH stacks and delay towers farther out in the crowd,you delay the entire mix going to the towers,to the time it takes the sound from the FOH stacks to reach there,otherwise you get the Haas effect,hearing the same sound from 2 sources,it will end up sounding echoey,or very blurry,for lack of a better description.You probably won't want to use this in your rig,good luck,Mel.

Offline Rex B

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 11:10:46 pm »
I was at Sunn when we designed this....Howard Goetz did the design. Mckinnon is right, it's not an effect, it's an alignment delay used to correct time smear caused when rear reinforcement or side reinforcement speakers are used. This product was one of the things that resulted when we started using time delay reflectometry (TDR) in the lab. It is adjustable in miliseconds. The speed of sound is approximately 1140 ft/sec,(std temp/pressure 14.7 psi, 60 degrees F etc) so if the side or rear speakers are 100 ft from the mains at the stage, you set the delay at 11.4 milliseconds. It was brand new, state of the art stuff then, pretty standard now. It was one of the first true A to D / D to A audio products. I don't think we sold very many, it was kind of ahead of its time, and not very well understood.
Engineer Sunn 1977-1983, Fender 1984-1990
Model T Red Knob
200S Cabinet JBL D140Fs
Sunn SB 300 (Proto Coliseum 300)