Author Topic: Later model grill cloth SF7005 and my new to me 1000S.  (Read 2012 times)

Offline timv

Later model grill cloth SF7005 and my new to me 1000S.
« on: August 17, 2006, 11:05:57 am »
First off, hello.  New sunn owner and my first post.  Hi to soundmasterG.  This is Tim that used to live up in portland.  Anyway.....
I just ordered some of this cloth.  The minimum order was 2 linear yards of it and it is 72" wide so I am getting way more than I need for my 1000S.  It was $25 per yard and a $10 extra fee for under 5 yards.  Just to let everyone know if they need some, how much it will be.  I will have quite a bit extra though so will gladly send of smaller bits for the price I paid, well in relation to size.

I bought my 1000S on ebay and have been refurbishing the electronics etc...  It now has new filter caps throughout and I replaced all of the 47 ohms resistors on the power sockets.  They weren't bad but drifted a little and I had a bunch of 1% 50 ohm 2 watt resistors that I got on accident so I figured they should work pretty well.  3 ohms isn't much.  The amp came with a decent amount of rust on top of the chassis and on the transformers but internally looked like it was never touched.  The only date sticker says 78 so I think it may have gone back to Sunn at some point because the pots and transformers date from 69-70.  It came with GE's that still test good.  I removed the transformers and cleaned them and the chassis up so it looks nice and clean now.  The last bit was the grill cloth that someone spray painted black.
I'll add pictures sometime to show before and after shots.

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
Re: Later model grill cloth SF7005 and my new to me 1000S.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 12:37:59 pm »
I may have misunderstood what you meant...

Those resistors attached to the output tubes, the ohm value is between 47 and 50 ohms, and I agree that it isn't critical which value you use.  Sunn varied between the two values.

However, the ones attached to pin 3, the plate are rated at 5 watts.  Only the ones attached to pin 4, the screen are 2 watts.

If you replaced the 5 watters with 2 watters, then you will more than likely blow them if you use full output.

All of these resistors are supposed to act like fuses - to blow when too much current is drawn by the output tubes to protect the output transformer.  Too much current can result from a bad tube, one that becomes internally shorted, or a sudden loss of bias.

Offline timv

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 01:04:44 pm »
Hey, thanks for the input.  I am almost positive the schematics in the tube amp book for the 1200S had 2 watt resistors in all places.  Hmmm,  well I guess I need some 5 watt ones now.  It is still apart so an easy replacement.  Thanks for the catch.

Offline Breezy

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 06:18:18 am »
do you have enough grille cloth to do a sunn 2x15 cabinet and leave e-mail add.

Offline timv

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 09:00:32 am »
do you have enough grille cloth to do a sunn 2x15 cabinet and leave e-mail add.
I have plenty.  It came in a huge over 6 feet tall cardboard tube.  I found it isn't exactly the same, the spacing between the squares is slightly bigger but it is the exact colors and pattern of the original.  How big of a piece would you need?

Offline Breezy

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2006, 11:43:16 am »
I need a piece for a 2x15 cab 26"x48" mike

Offline timv

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2006, 09:01:23 am »
I need a piece for a 2x15 cab 26"x48" mike
That is a bit over half of what I have.  If you wouldn't want it folded I would probably have to ship it in the same tube it came to me in which would make shipping about $25 or so.  I paid $70 for the piece I have which is 72" by 2 linear yards so 72".  I would ask about $40 for a piece that large.

Offline Breezy

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2006, 09:31:14 am »
so e-mail me at Breezy33414@hotmail.com and we'll set it up. mike