Author Topic: Early Christmas Jackpot - 200S & Coliseum Content  (Read 2731 times)

Offline bigobassman

• "You can't have too much bass."
Early Christmas Jackpot - 200S & Coliseum Content
« on: December 07, 2013, 11:23:55 am »
We talked about this on my thread from a few days ago.  But since the rig did make it's way home with me, I thought that it was worthy of a new thread.

Took the back off of the cab and discovered 2 pristine, untouched, fine looking JBL D140F-6 speakers.  Those guys were giving me the biggest grin that you could imagine!  The entire interior of the cab looked untouched as well, within just a whisker of looking brand new including the foam insulation attached to the various walls of the cab.  Plugged it in to the Coliseum and that big grin made it to my face.  Absolutely beautiful sound. 

Here's what I've found and think so far:  Based upon the cab measurements 40x24x15 and comparing to the info under the catalogues section, this could be a 1966.  1967 forward showed the dimensions as 42x24x15.  Possible support for early production is that the JBLs are early ones with the smaller speaker wire connectors.  The speaker jack on the back of the cab is just that, a speaker jack.  No informational plate nor indications of screw holes for one.

Under the problems list:  grill cloth appears to have been painted black at some point and also has a 3 or so inch gash in it that I'm not sure could be properly repaired.  The 4 rubber feet from the side are missing.  The finish covers for the leather handle ends are missing.  Pretty much every thing else can be cleaned or glued for a nice look.

Now for the head.  It's newer with the red knobs and the sun explosion.  Maybe mid to late 70s from catalogue descriptions.  Solid state with 1 channel and 2 inputs.  Five knobs, volume with normal/brite switch - Lo Bass - Hi Bass - Mid with lo & hi switch - treble with lo & hi switch.  The back has 2 speaker jacks in addition to a jack for pre amp out and one for power amp in.  Made by Hartzell Corporation Company.  The bottom has a fan and the plastic power cord wraps for cord storage.  This head is approximately 30+ inches in length, 7+ inches in height and the front section is tapered/slanted by approximately 1/2 an inch getting more narrow going from bottom to top. Has the leather handle.  Everything works properly and sounds great with the aforementioned cab.

Under the problems list:  One of the plastic cord wraps has a portion of it broken off.

I've made a lot of pics, but for the life of me, can't get them to go on here.  I've tried a number of different approaches and spent a bunch of time doing so, but to no avail.  Very frustrating.  Maybe has something to do with the fact that on this page, all of the emphasis choices (grin, smiley etc.) have the black surrounded X in them.  I'm able to post other forums and places, just not here for unknown reasons.  I'll probably go to Talk Bass and post of few, but I'd rather put them here.

Anyway - your comments, input, guidance, opinions, suggestions and/or corrections will all be greatly appreciated.
"You can't have too much bass."

Offline bigobassman

Re: Early Christmas Jackpot - 200S & Coliseum Content
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 12:02:47 pm »
Let's move above the crap spam.

BTW - the cab's speaker jack is offset to the right, measuring approximately 9 inches to the right side with the distance being approximately 13 inches to the left side of the cab's back.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 12:15:25 pm by bigobassman »

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 12:50:03 pm »
I'm pretty sure that the cabinet size did not change. Instead, Sunn changed the way they measured the height, to include the height added by the casters.
Isaac

Offline Sunny Boy

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 07:01:58 pm »
I'm pretty sure that the cabinet size did not change. Instead, Sunn changed the way they measured the height, to include the height added by the casters.

Thank you for that.  For about a minute, I was beginning to get very worried about my continuing search for a second 200S cab to match the one I have, which is 40x24x15.  I can deal with different grill cloth, but not different dimensions.
<phew!>

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 01:00:39 am »

You are correct (as usual) Isaac. The cab itself is 40" tall.

Offline bigobassman

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 07:01:28 am »
Time again to put the crap down!  (Edit - I'm referencing the spam that's started attacking us here big time.  By down, I mean moving a legit thread to the top and the spam down by a new reply or post.)

Looking for ideas/sources for a few replacement parts or pieces for this rig:

For the head - those plastic cord wraps located on the bottom of the head.  One was broken off, the other broke last night.  Not such stout pieces for their location.

For the cab - what size are the rubber feet that go on the side of the cab?  A guy on Ebay has some listed, but having nothing to compare it to, I'm not sure.  Mine were all gone.

Also for the cab - and probably most important.  I've not been real successful in removing the paint off of the grill.  Even if, I still have the gash to contend with.  Looks like a little side trip down to Wendell's will be coming up soon.  2 things - which is the grill cloth for this cab - and - this would be an opportunity for me to check on the "not made, now maybe made" cloth from my above post.

Thanks!

« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 10:34:14 am by bigobassman »

Offline boulderbass

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 06:56:01 pm »

Also for the cab - and probably most important.  I've not been real successful in removing the paint off of the grill.  Even if, I still have the gash to contend with.  Looks like a little side trip down to Wendell's will be coming up soon.  2 things - which is the grill cloth for this cab - and - this would be an opportunity for me to check on the "not made, now maybe made" cloth from my above post.

Thanks!

I have a 200S (or something like it) with a pretty trashed grill cloth, so I'm going for an original Courtenay Pollock tie dye. He did the Grateful Dead and Jefferson Airplane dyes back in the day and is still working. Should be here any day.

I believe those are 2000S cabinets right next to the drums.

Offline bigobassman

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 08:06:51 pm »
Interesting idea.  I was right in the middle of that era, graduating from HS in 1970, and a very liberal college in 1974.  But gear wise, through the years, I find my self being a purist on those matters.  I can admire the coolness of those grill covers, but I prefer mine to be stock, or as close to it as possible.  Show us when it's complete.

Offline boulderbass

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 01:56:37 am »
Interesting idea.  I was right in the middle of that era, graduating from HS in 1970, and a very liberal college in 1974.  But gear wise, through the years, I find my self being a purist on those matters.  I can admire the coolness of those grill covers, but I prefer mine to be stock, or as close to it as possible.  Show us when it's complete.

It just showed up today. Hopefully it will be installed in a day or two. I'm going to take my time, I don't want to screw it up, it's a real piece of art. I will say that it was very reasonable for a custom piece like this. I'll see how it lets sound through.