Author Topic: Sorado for guitar?  (Read 1640 times)

Offline Ugh

Sorado for guitar?
« on: January 28, 2014, 04:42:32 pm »
Hi all. I'm considering purchasing a '68 Sorado to use for guitar. Does anyone have experience with this setup? I realize that I won't be getting much grind from the amp itself - I'm a pedal guy anyway.

The Sorado has a two band EQ - how's the midrange? Scooped, flat, pushed?

Thanks!

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
Re: Sorado for guitar?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 07:13:50 pm »
With the tone controls set at zero, the amp is pretty flat. That's characteristic of almost all early Sunn amps. Turn them up, and it starts to sound scooped.
Isaac

Offline Ugh

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 07:25:19 am »
Thanks Isaac. I used to own a blackface bassman that I used as a semi-clean pedal platform. It had similar controls as the Sorado (volume, treble, bass and deep switch). Would these two be comparable?

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 12:01:51 pm »
Off the top of my head, I don't know, but I'd think so. On the Sunn, the Bass Boost switch overrides a rolloff below 80Hz. That is, the amp normally rolls off reducing the bass content below 80Hz. That can be a good thing. Gives you a cleaner sound, frees up some power, reduces distortion. Switch in the boost and the amp is pretty much flat down to 40Hz, which can be troublesome with some speakers.

On the Fender, the Deep switch might be similar, or it might actually be a boost. I don't know. I do know that I much prefer the sound of my 200S to that of a Bassman I used in rehearsal for a while.
Isaac