Author Topic: Sunn Model T - A present  (Read 6768 times)

Offline unknown_girlfriend

Sunn Model T - A present
« on: December 19, 2011, 05:27:18 pm »
Hi guys,

This is the first time i have ever posted on a forum in my life and the reason for doing so now is i am looking for an original Sunn Model T... I've been looking at a couple of sites/eBay sites/threads/blogs and i am not having much luck. Obviously I'm in the right place here..
Anyway, it's my boyfriends birthday in four months and i would LOVE to buy him his dream amp. I'm from Australia, i know nothing about amps (but have plenty of help from friends) and am willing to ship from anywhere around the world.

As i said, I'm looking for an original, no reissues and definitely pre-Fender... Wanting one with the red knobs! (i think i have attached a picture....!! ha!)

Please, if someone could help, point me in some kind of right direction, anything!

Thank you...  :-D

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
Re: Sunn Model T - A present
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 03:14:29 pm »
What a nice thing to do! Prices on Ebay are hovering around $1500 USD. Are you sure you can afford it?

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 03:21:20 pm »
If i can find the right one, then i think i may be able to get the $$$ together. :)

Offline stanner

• s t a n o s a u r
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 05:02:31 pm »
I'm pretty sure I will be seeing you on Judge Judy if you go thru w/ this idea! :-)
couple questions:
what kind of music does your boyfriend play?
why a RedKnob and not an o r i g i n a l since you have the money?
just askin'...
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 05:21:36 pm »
Sunn amps in general seem to come in flurries and then get real scarce. It's pretty cyclical; all you can really do is keep watching the web.
Good luck, and that's a pretty nice thing you are doing for your boyfriend!

I'm pretty sure I will be seeing you on Judge Judy if you go thru w/ this idea! :-)
couple questions:
what kind of music does your boyfriend play?
why a RedKnob and not an o r i g i n a l since you have the money?
just askin'...

Sounds to me like the OP is pretty specific about what she wants to get; even posted a picture. It does seem pretty extravagant for a "boyfriend" and not a spouse, but I suppose that's all relative.
Pro athletes and entertainers sometimes give houses as casual gifts for "friends", and there's an old story about Elvis having a party and taking everybody down to his local Caddy dealer and buying them all new cars as party favors.

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 06:16:05 pm »
I'm sorry... I don't really understand internet humor...  :? - why will you be seeing me on Judge Judy?

I am chasing the one with the red knobs because this is what he has described to me. i might have to consult him very last minute if i find something, but at the moment he need know nothing.

He plays/listens to a bit of everything. Without giving out too much info in the event he for some reason find this thread, he is going to Roadburn in Holland next year, so that may give you an indication of one aspect of his likings. And of course, enjoys Sunn O))) thoroughly.

I like giving presents, hence why I'm doing this for my boyfriend. Knowing how much joy this would bring is exciting, i can see why Elvis would do this for his guests. If i was a pro athlete or entertainer, i'd buy him his own amp company.  :wink:

Thank you for you help though. i will continue to to web watch and hope for the best.

P.S What does OP mean? :)

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 08:12:12 pm »
P.S What does OP mean? :)

It's an abbreviation for Original Post or Original Poster.

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 08:13:00 pm »
Duh..... thank you!

Offline bigobassman

• "You can't have too much bass."
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 09:06:55 pm »
Hey unknown_girlfriend,

In the spirit of Christmas gift giving - and in my case this Friday the 23rd being my birthday - I can certainly be your friend that loves getting gifts.  I'm not picky.  You already have a good sense of gear.   :-D

But seriously - I hope that your boyfriend is appreciative.

Merry Christmas
"You can't have too much bass."

Offline stanner

• s t a n o s a u r
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 09:30:13 pm »
I'm sorry... I don't really understand internet humor...  :? - why will you be seeing me on Judge Judy?

sorry if i came out a little cynical-judgejudy reference has to do w/ the many cases on that show concerning boy/girl friends giving expensive gifts and then a f t e r its over it gets real nasty finding out who really owns the 'gifts' and who gets nada.
i hope you find your bf that gift-they are out there.
http://stanosaur.com/
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 09:35:09 pm »
Oh Happy Birthday for Friday the 23rd! If i was a millionaire i would certainly buy you something.

Merry Christmas to you too. :)

Stanner - i'm not an "Indian Giver". Once a gift is handed over, it is the receiver's to keep.
I'm crossing my fingers for one to pop up... although eBay is the only place i know of to look! And of course, here now.

Offline warandhairstyle

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 08:21:46 am »
Try contacting Rock and Roll vintage in Chicago - I was there recently and they had another old T in stock.  Don't be discouraged that it's not listed on their site - I assure you they have a lot of Sunn equipment and none of it is online.  Their contact page even says "Australian customers, try our new toll free number: 1.800.813.658".  Good luck! http://www.rocknrollvintage.com/

And I agree with others that you should consider the original black knob version as well.
When life gives you lemons, buy amplifiers.

Offline jaywalker

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2011, 09:58:41 pm »
Hi unknown_girlfriend. just for your information...the version in the picture you posted is referred to as a "second generation" or less commonly "Model T Super" according to the schematic and the easiest external identifying feature is the "mid select" switch located below the center "mid range" knob. This feature (and some other internal preamp changes) differentiates the second generation (typically red knob insert and red logo/badge) from the first gen. which does not have this switch (typically silver knob insert and black badge). Both of these versions are pre-Fender products.

Make sure to emphasize that packing needs to be done very thoroughly. It would be good to brace the transformers with heavy styrofoam or wood above and side to side. These are very heavy amps and require extra care in packing to increase survivability.
Hope this helps.

Regarding your name... Are you implying that you are unknown to this boyfriend of yours? Are you a secret admirer that knows the way to a man's heart is really through his signal chain?
Do tell! Will you journey with him to the ends of the earth (and beyond)? May you find happiness together!

Offline madaradio

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2011, 06:19:49 pm »
here's a good link which describes how to pack an amp for shipping.
http://www.rocknrollvintage.com/how-to-pack-an-amp-for-shipment.htm

might want to forward that to whoever you buy the amp from.