Author Topic: 200S Speaker Inputs  (Read 2025 times)

Offline edrowe

200S Speaker Inputs
« on: December 03, 2008, 09:00:42 pm »
I have a 200S. It has a 8 ohm and a 16 ohm jack. What cabinet combinations can I run?
Thanks!
-Ed 

Offline Wally

Re: 200S Speaker Inputs
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 11:35:24 am »
http://schematicheaven.com/newamps/sunn_1200s.pdf
http://schematicheaven.com/newamps/sunn_200s.pdf

Note: I am a 'Fender guy', so these circuits for these multi-tap output transformers is more than I am used to looking at..but
if your head has outputs for 8 and 16 ohms, it may be that your OT is wired more like the 1200S above.
The 200S schematic shows the option of 8 or 4 ohms. THe 1200S shows the 8 and 16 ohm option. IF the amp is wired like the 1200S and has the 8 and 16 ohm option, you can run one 16 ohm into the appropriate output jack, one 8 ohm into the 8 ohm or two 16 ohms at one time. At least, that is what I see there.
Maybe a true Sunn expert will chime in after this bumps the thread up.

Offline djc

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 01:12:41 pm »
if you do a search in this forum for 'ohms' or 4 ohm tap or something, it should come up with instructions to make it 4 and 8 ohm outputs.  I find that more useable.  with 8 and 16, any combination of cabs totalling 8ohms will work.  again there should be a 4 ohm tap on your transformer, it just wasn't used.  then any combination with a total resistance of 4 ohms can be used.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 11:14:08 am »
if you do a search in this forum for 'ohms' or 4 ohm tap or something, it should come up with instructions to make it 4 and 8 ohm outputs.  I find that more useable.  with 8 and 16, any combination of cabs totalling 8ohms will work.  again there should be a 4 ohm tap on your transformer, it just wasn't used.  then any combination with a total resistance of 4 ohms can be used.

Not to pick nits, but...
the phrase "then any combination with a total resistance of 4 ohms can be used" should be "then any combination with a total impedance, or nominal impedance of 4 ohms can be used.
If the OP uses a VOM or multimeter to try for 4 ohms resistance, they could make themselves crazy. A 4 ohm speaker load will generally show 3 something, sometimes as much as 5 ohms actual resistance on a meter.

Offline djc

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 03:21:59 pm »
sorry, didn't put the -ish on the end in this post.  I think my cab is 3.26 or something.  I find audio funny.  how a science or mathematical equation - ususally exact - can be, not is, diluted to ish.

Offline mckinnon audio

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 04:42:15 pm »
  Hi there,the problem lies in the difference between impeadance and resistance.When you're playing through your amp,AC voltage is flowing to the spkr.,when you measure the spkr.with your meter,(analogue or digital),DC voltage is flowing through it because of the battery in your meter.The reading from the meter will always be less than the imp.value stamped on the spkr.An 8 0hm spkr.(imp.) will read around 5.6 ohms(res.),a 16 ohm will read around 11.6.Hope this isn't too confusing,Mel.

Offline basiklybass

• My Sunn's
    • The Old Days
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 07:59:28 pm »
I suggest doing a search of this site since this topic is brought up several times a year and there have been exhaustive discussions regarding it.

No need to go over it all again.