Author Topic: Which cabinet would be best?  (Read 2487 times)

Offline loopyreed

Which cabinet would be best?
« on: December 30, 2008, 11:20:28 am »
I'm new to the forum...a new Sunn owner.  A few days ago I bought an early 70's Solarus head (silver cloth, KT88's, big transformers) and it blows my mind.  I love it, but the only cab I have to run it through is a '68 Bassman 2x15 cab.  It looks really cool but I'm really picky about matching amps.  So I'm ready to get over my identity crisis and commit to being all-Sunn and I need a Sunn cab.  Which cab(s) would be a good match for the Solarus?

Thanks

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
Re: Which cabinet would be best?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 11:45:52 am »
Assuming you want to use the Solarus for guitar, the narrow 4x12 Sceptre or any cab with a D130F. If you like a loud distorted tone, I'd stay away from any cab with just one D130F (or D15S). For clean guitar, one speaker will do the job. Often people don't know if the cab they have has D140's or D130's. The way to tell is to stick your face right up to the grill cloth and look closely at the speaker cone (a flashlight will help ). The D130 cone is smooth, the D140 cone has concentric ribs.

Offline xsolarusx

• Black Faxes
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 12:23:24 pm »
I have a 412L, which is from a different era, but sounds amazing(and apparently works well enough for bass also).  However, my mainstay is a 612S cabinet.

If you're in a bind, you could always get a Fender Showman 412, as they look pretty Sunn-ish.
(2) 73 1st Gen Model T
Late 70's Marshall JCM 800 1960B cab

Offline loopyreed

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 09:28:07 pm »
Thanks for the help!  Now the hard part...locating a Sceptre cab.  I've seen photos of that one, and I think that would be a perfect match. 

Loudthud - What I'm looking for is loud and clean.  Is the Sceptre cab the same as a 412L?  And, sonically speaking, what is the difference between the D130F and the D140? 

xsolarusx - I'd like to know more about the 612.  I can't find any pictures or information on the 612, I've seen a few for sale on here and I've made some blind offers because I don't see how a 6x12 could possibly be a bad thing.  Do you have any photos or more information on it?     

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 09:50:21 pm »
The D140 is a bass speaker. The D130 is louder with not as much bass. I think a 412L is a 2x2 like a straight front Marshall cab, the Sceptre is 24 inches wide like the head you have. The speakers are in a zig-zag pattern. They are kind of rare.

Offline loopyreed

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 10:00:10 pm »
Got it, thanks for all the help.  Let me know if you come across a sceptre cab for sale...