Author Topic: help identifying 215 cab's speakers  (Read 2262 times)

Offline TO)))M

help identifying 215 cab's speakers
« on: November 20, 2011, 05:17:15 pm »
hi sunn experts! ;)

some time ago i got my hands on a old (68?) 2x15 sunn cabinet. i don't know which amp model it belonged to in the first place, though :/
i'm planning to drive it with a 68/69 spectrum II once it's repaired.
play tuned down 7-string and a little bass.

now, i then openend the cab some time ago and took some pretty blurred photos to see what's inside.
the speakers will need some treatment - one dust cap is torn (and fell off), and if i light it from behind i can see "through" the ripples.
sorry if i can't explain properly, english is not my native language ;)
to make it short, i guess the paper is worn.
the speakers sound pretty good but can't compare.
what i want to know if it's worth reparing or not. not reconing, rather treating the membrane with some magic juice (any ideas?)

yet there is nothing on them i can determine a make or model from. there are numbers ink stamped on the frame. no label left on the back - see pictures.

57 7240 026383

can someone help me identify these speakers?
a slight guess is that the first number is 67 and not 57, which would make them eminence. the photos aren't good and i currently don't have the time to open the cab in the next weeks.

another guess is that the speakers aren't original, i found the number 026383 on the web in a fender bassman context and used by different manufacturers (a type number, used by different labels?). the also seem not to be mounted in original position (not all screws/holes are used). but maybe it was mounted differently because the original screw holes where worn out.

okay... so much info mixed together ;) maybe someone can put me on the right track. i'd rather like to keep (and repair) them, but if they are not worth it... maybe someone can suggest replacement speakers?

cheers,
TO)))M

edit:
ther's a picture linked that would come close to my model
http://www.fenderforum.com/forum.html?db=&topic_number=709888

suggesting that it could be cts speaker...
cts--> eminence? maybe they had similar designs in the beginning...
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 05:27:44 pm by TO)))M »

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
Re: help identifying 215 cab's speakers
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 10:57:46 am »
The angled baffles make this look like a 200S cabinet. If that's the case, these are definitely not the original drivers. The 200S cabinet and its larger brother, the 2000S cabinet, came with JBL D140F drivers. The angled baffles make it difficult to get other designs into the cabinet. In fact, I'm a bit surprised that the drivers you have fit. Maybe it's the larger 2000S cabinet after all. What are the dimensions?

As for the drivers you have, if you like the sound, keep them. In your position, I'd replace the dust cover, but that's about it. I don't see much advantage in reconing if you like the sound you're getting from them.
Isaac

Offline TO)))M

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 09:02:19 am »
found it out. these were '72 eminence speakers. not bad stuff!

now i've found a pair of jbl k130 speakers, i think it's a fitting replacement?

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 08:19:52 am »
I think that would be an adequate replacement. A pair of K140s would be closer to the original D140s, and have a bit deeper bass response, but I've been using a D130 for bass lately, and it's been working like a champ.
Isaac

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 03:01:08 pm »
A couple of things about that cabinet don't look right.

1) The black paint looks like it was brushed on. Most Sunn cabinets are spray painted.

2) The screws holding the speaker look like 10-32. Sunn used 1/4-20 with T nuts as far as I know.

3) I don't see the screws holding the baffle to the bracing from inside.

4) I don't see the center brace, could just be the angle of the photos.

5) The damping material doesn't look right.

6) The angled boards should be held to the sides by slots routed into the sides. Is that the case?

Post pictures of the front and back.