Author Topic: 1974 Sunn Coliseum Controller---- value?  (Read 1378 times)

Offline niacin

1974 Sunn Coliseum Controller---- value?
« on: November 22, 2014, 10:19:02 pm »
I have a 1974 Coliseum Controller II. It is the variant with 8 channels balanced/unbalanced, A VU meter on every channel, dual graphic equalizers, dual 2-way crossovers (500/800/1000Hz) but NOT the built-in 150W amps.

Used to actually use it for my band, but it has been in storage for 25 years now.
Any idea of the value/ collectability of this friendly monster? Only place I've ever seen it is in a photo of The Who performing. They had two of these side-by side. Anybody know how many of these were ever made?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 12:44:58 am by niacin »

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Re: 1974 Sunn Coliseum Controller---- value?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 11:06:12 pm »
I'd say its value would depend on what someone would be willing to pay for it.
While I personally think its a very cool old piece, it would need to be a sentimentally motivated buyer to get any money out of it IMO. I've not ever heard of old Sunn consoles being considered "collectable", but there may be somebody out there who wants one desperately and would pay up.
Cool from a nostalgia standpoint, but it's not "magic" like a vintage Midas or Neve or the like...

For example; from a technical functionality standpoint an Allen and Heath Mixwizard3 16:2 can be had used for about $500, has twice the inputs, two built in effects engines, rack mountable at 22 lbs, and is far more efficient and flexible as a "working" desk than any of the old 70's consoles.

If you are trying to sell it, figure out what you would take for it and list it in the classifieds section with a price. No shortage of Sunn nostalgic folks here!
Or put it on eBay with no reserve, you will find out exactly what it's worth that way.

Offline Happy Face

Re: 1974 Sunn Coliseum Controller---- value?
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 08:19:41 pm »
Sad but true and some good advice.