Author Topic: SL260, please advise  (Read 1436 times)

Offline theHairr

SL260, please advise
« on: March 10, 2016, 01:54:58 pm »
http://imgur.com/a/n1vl7
Local find, I'm wondering if this is worth $150. It sounds pretty great, especially when plugging head phones into the back of it, it would be a great bedroom amp.

But there are a few things that worry me, and wonder if they need to be addressed.

First, plugging it in I notice all of the jacks are rusty.
      I'm sure this is benign, but somebody prove me otherwise.
First image shows the front (Bad quality, as the store was awash in the noon sunn). You can see a few other cosmetic mars, like the knobs.
      If someone knows where I can get original/original-like knobs for this, very cool.
      The pots are scratchy when dialing them in, too. I'm sure I could get the shop to work on that.
Moving to the back, it's clear this thing has been forgotten about or just not kept well care of.
      The power cord is missing a grommet, and maybe I can get them to replace that. But if someone has a source for one that would be good to know.
      That transformer looks like it's been on fire.
      The speakers are original as shown, sweet. Sound amazing, but are very dusty. Would it be worth it to clean these speakers up? All that dust built up has got to do something to the sound.

So, is this worth it even as a project? My main concerns are the missing grommet, the rusty jacks, the speakers being dusty as they are, the collection of dust itself, and a source for the original knobs. Cleaning the tolex won't be much of a problem. If there is something else I should consider I'd love to know.