Author Topic: Sunn Buzz  (Read 10062 times)

Offline Ryan Phelps

Sunn Buzz
« on: April 13, 2007, 10:21:25 am »
A Sunn Buzz is on Ebay now and will probably go for an insane amount of money. While it would be fun to own, I was wondering if any of you have a schematic for it. Then I could build a repro, possibly in a more user-friendly enclosure.

Thanks!
Ryan

Offline Johann

Re: Sunn Buzz
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 03:16:30 pm »
a few days ago I was thinking about the Sunn Buzz and the schematic and I googled searched " "sunn buzz" pedal " I think and came up with a site of a guy with a bunch of schematics for like 5 bucks or something, I'll try to find the site, but maybe someone here has it and wouldn't mind posting it for us all  :mrgreen:

Offline Dunkie

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 04:00:18 pm »

JOHANN -- that would be great if you could locate the site with schematics of the Sunn Buzz.  I used to build lots of stuff back in the prime Sunn era (67 to early 70's) and I still have all of that hardware arond, so it would be a piece of cake to build one from scratch. 

RYAN -- yep, that Sunn Buzz on eBay is exactly the item.  It's great that he shows pics of the inside, you can see that it would be a very buildable project if a schematic can be found.  At the moment that thing is at $57.78 and it's got 9 days to go so I doubt I'll be bidding.  I don't check eBay for Sunn often, I used to but I've got way too much of the stuff already and now the wife gets really upset at me everytime UPS or Fedex stops in front of the house.

dunkie
Ron in Omaha, Nebr.

Offline Johann

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 05:30:57 pm »
http://www.ronsound.com/schem.html

the page is pretty old, so I'd probably email the guy first and see if he still has the schematic available.

it lists it down at the bottom under Miscellaneous Effects, should only be like 1-2 pages so roughly 10 or so bucks based on that guy's prices on his page

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 12:29:36 pm »

I don't have the standalone Sunn buzz circuit, but this will give you an idea how it is set up. This is the buzz circuit that Sunn built into the Orion:

Since the Orion was meant for both bass and guitar use, the addition of the mix control blended some of the non-distorted input signal back in. This allowed use with bass without having all of the low end drop out.

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 12:31:34 pm »

Oops. The transistor types used in the Orion Buzz are all BC107B's.

Offline rick.heil

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 11:50:43 pm »
...and another Buzz was just posted, now there's two on eBay!

Offline stanner

• s t a n o s a u r
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007, 01:15:36 am »
anybody have examples on a record or mp3 of what these buzzee thanggs sound like?
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Offline rick.heil

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2007, 11:15:35 am »
The second auction's description of the "Inna Gadda Da Vida" (spelling sucks, sorry) tone is pretty descriptive to me... a pretty unique thing.

(anecdote about that song - perusing through the vinyl at the radio station a few weeks ago, I found the Iron Butterfly live in concert LP... that songs takes up an entire side.  I'm so playing it tomorrow night.)

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2007, 05:25:36 pm »

I hate the name "buzz". It was probably a play on "fuzz", but it doesn't "buzz".

Depending on the setting of the effect control, it can go from classic "fuzz face" sounds and beyond - achieving the sustain of a big muff. It's a three stage, high gain, low voltage solid state amplifier circuit.

I seriously doubt that "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" (which came from an alcohol induced slurring of "In the garden of Eden" - truth!!) was recorded with the Sunn Buzz. The Buzz was issued about a year or so after the recording. More than likely a Fuzz Face or it's cousin the Vox Bender.

But it's close enough to a similar sound.

Offline fatlizzard

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2007, 08:03:02 am »
The website to get the schematic is
http://www.ronsound.com/
it is $5.00 and he will send a pdf e mail of it!
Lots of cool stuff on the site!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2007, 11:42:45 am »

Guess what I just came across...

Offline fatlizzard

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2007, 10:22:30 pm »
Here's the copy I got

It appears to be pretty much the same except R4 and R7 seem to be exchanged and effect pot shows 5k

Offline Johann

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2007, 11:07:58 pm »
I too found those schematics, I'm waiting on a few pots to get in before I try to build it out, but when I finish it I'll let you know how it sounds
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 01:13:54 am by Johann »