Author Topic: powered or not  (Read 1745 times)

Offline protech

powered or not
« on: January 08, 2012, 07:23:45 am »
i have a sunn spl-2212 never hooked it up yet .but i see it says alot about its not powered but they also say its got an internal power. so whats the power plug for then. and if its not powered how can i power it can i use an old stereo reciever or can i use phantom power or what.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Re: powered or not
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 09:45:26 am »
It's not a powered mixer in the sense that it has no power amp inside. The AC cord is for the preamps and functions of the board, you need to connect it to a power amp to make noise with it.
I suppose you could hook it up to an old stereo receiver, but that probably wouldn't work out too well. What you need is a dedicated power amp; and some speakers of course.

Phantom power is just a low power DC source used for powering microphones or other devices (some DI's) that require an external power source to operate.
Sort of like the way "wall warts" provide power for small devices, no audio signal involved.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 12:16:06 pm »
If the old stereo receiver has power amp inputs, it will work all right. Not all do.
Isaac

Offline Jeff Troy

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 07:48:14 pm »
Hi, protech,

Sunn Concert and Coliseum Slaves are on eBay fairly often, and what you have is what those slaves do very well.

I have a powered SPL-2216 and had trouble finding a manual. Turns out that Fender still sells printouts of the SPL Series Sunn Manuals for $10. It took less than a week to arrive.

Warmest regards,
759 New Holland Ave.
Lancaster PA 17602
C: 717-917-3670
www.bandmix.com/jefftroy
www.jefftroy.com (under construction)