Author Topic: Sunn Model 8 Speaker Cabinets  (Read 5291 times)

lostinsunn

Sunn Model 8 Speaker Cabinets
« on: July 08, 2003, 12:12:47 pm »
Does anyone know anything at all about the Sunn Model 8 Speaker Cabinets? (actually I'm not sure if that's their official name; that's what it says on the back). What I really need to know is their maximum wattage. They appear to be very nice speakers and all, but they say nothing about their maximum wattage, and I don't want to blow them up.

Offline Don T.

Sunn Model 8 Speaker Cabinets
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2003, 05:26:50 pm »
Hello:
 The Model 8 speakers were my favorite vocal support cabinets. They came with a 81-0145 15" speaker (2" VC w/54ounce square magnet). They can be biamped. The horn was an RCF 50w driver on an RCF horn. The specs call out 100 watts. However don't be fooled, this is continuous power handling. By todays standards it would be 100w continuous = 200 program = 400w peak. I routinely ran SA21 amps with these speakers (200w @ 8ohms) sometimes bridged as a pair (600w @ 4ohms). Check them out though, the chances of having all original drivers is slim.
Don T.

If it's too loud, you're too old.

Offline j410b

Re: Sunn Model 8 Speaker Cabinets
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 10:20:23 am »
Hi.  I recently got a pair of Sunn Model 8, with intent to use as vocal support only.  However, I don't know how to hook them up.  Could anyone explain the best way to wire these?  Or if there is a pdf manual or schematic that someone had? Excited to get the out in the world again.  I'll be doing several sound installations this summer and I'm looking forward to seeing if they draw an interest.  Plus - does anyone know how to date them?

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Re: Sunn Model 8 Speaker Cabinets
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 08:06:33 am »
Hi.  I recently got a pair of Sunn Model 8, with intent to use as vocal support only.  However, I don't know how to hook them up.  Could anyone explain the best way to wire these?  Or if there is a pdf manual or schematic that someone had? Excited to get the out in the world again.  I'll be doing several sound installations this summer and I'm looking forward to seeing if they draw an interest.  Plus - does anyone know how to date them?

There should be two full range inputs with a horn attenuation knob between them wired in parallel at the top of the patch panel in back, and paralleled high and low  inputs at the bottom of the patch panel, with a switch that changes (removes) the internal crossover from full range to bi-amp mode. There is no serial number dating that I'm aware of for old Sunn gear, but they are from the mid 1970's, fairly sophisticated cabs for that era.
Your best bet for any literature is to scour the internet. That said, if you do sound installations wiring up those Model 8's should be pretty self explanatory.